Pricing Used Panels?

I expect that this is probably a new guy kind of question, but is there a decent way to price panels in good working order that are about 10 or so years old compared to a new price?

Thanks,

SD

:)

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: Pricing Used Panels?

I would look at it this way, if they are from a brand name manufacture that offer a 20-25 year warranty new. Then look at paying 50-70% of the new cost.

With everyone talking and going green, prices/demand are up.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Just a guess--I would start at 10% of new (today's price for panels--not new 10 years ago which could be 2x as much) and go upwards of 50%--anything more than that and you are getting risk with no reward...

To be fair, you can check what shipping charges would be for equivalent panels... Shipping for a few panels can be very expensive. So--you could factor that into the "list price".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Spec a new panel price likefor like then applly a 70-75 % down premium but remember to inform the would be purchaser no warranty is ncluded..... then advise PV panels are in the main bulllet prooof.......not everyone can afford new AND NEW ARE not infallible asked KY
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks guys! That will give me some numbers to play with!

SD

:)
  • System2

The first number that I thought of was 50% of current pricing for a comparable new panel. With a little more thought, I'd price them based on the amortization of the warranty, for example, for a $500 panel (at todays pricing) that is 10 years old with a 20 year warranty, I'd give 50% of the $500 but only for single or multi crystal panels. I'd probably give $.10 on the dollar for amorphhous that are ten years old but have no personal experience with them to justify that figure.

Cheers,

Bad Apple
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

when one can buy seconds with full output and full warranties for almost half the cost of some full priced pvs i'd say the $.50 on a dollar is way out of line. i do suspect there will be a range due to factors such as age or condition for used pvs and i'd say between 20% and 40% of the new price for most pvs that still output well and have acceptable appearance.
  • System2
    niel wrote: »
    when one can buy seconds with full output and full warranties for almost half the cost of some full priced pvs i'd say the $.50 on a dollar is way out of line. i do suspect there will be a range due to factors such as age or condition for used pvs and i'd say between 20% and 40% of the new price for most pvs that still output well and have acceptable appearance.

So I should be able to find a used $1000 Sharp 200 watt panel for $200 - $400? I'll give $500 for every one that someone will sell for that.

Bad Apple
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

I recently sold some used Unisolar 64 panels for $2.50 a watt and they went fast. Still getting call and some are upset that I didn't save them any.
    Larry
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

the market isn't exactly flooded with used pvs either and demand is high so i guess i need to rethink that range i gave.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

We see almost no used panels available, with the exception of some very old ones from upgraded installations.

Basically we won't fool with anything over around 5 years old, or anything that is not a standard commercial panel (that is major brand and "standard issue").

But we see so few - maybe 2-3 a year, that it has really not been much of an issue. Some used panels are from companies no longer around so any warranty would be a problem.
  • System2

From what I have seen, demand far outstrips supply right now and it is hard to find good used solar stock.