Old/new system reworked

n3qik
n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
Like most here, started small and grew in steps. Along the way I cut many corners. This week was payback time. Reworked everything to meet NEC. Right now I am 99% there.

Things left to do:
Add a exterior battery disconnect to fire fighters.- Do have a 120 amp CB in basement, but still need the outside one.
Signage for disconnect locations for fire fighters.
Ground fault protection- may get a XW-150mppt, so this on hold. Plus I have a split array that are 120' apart with each set of modual frames to separate ground rod.

Review how I got to this point at my webpage:
http://home.comcast.net/~n3qik/Site/Solar_Page_1.html

Comments

• quid_non
    quid_non Solar Expert Posts: 48
    Re: Old/new system reworked

Hi Ken!
    Thanks for the post - went to your link and was EXTREMELY impressed at your amazing documentation and detail, thanks for taking the time to share this. Looks like you really put together a nice system there. Are you still using the HF panels? The system I have now is kinda' like your startup - 4 HF panels (amorphous silica) with 2 monocrystalline (PowerUP) panels for a toal of ~110W. It works "OK" for our needs now. But the force is strong to add more!:D

Thanks for the great post and share!
    Best
    Wayne
  • n3qik

Nope, the HF are non UL labeled. Willing to risk them on the shed, $1000 loss, but not the house, $300,000 loss. Sold them on eBay some time ago.

Thanks for the compliments !
  • n3qik

Homepage update to show very large pics.

OT: Was this post moved?? Don't remember putting it here.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Ken notice that you are using a MSW inverter to run the fridge.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that one should use TSW on motors if possible and particularly electronics to avoid damaging them.

Any problems so far with the fridge?

cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • n3qik

So far it runs ok, draws an extra .5 amp ac. I am looking at a true sine wave. Maybe in the spring.

The 600W will run it, but not every time, the softstart causes the thermal on the frig to trip at times.
  • banjorene
    banjorene Solar Expert Posts: 36

Great Post
    Loved watching your system expand a little at a time That is my plan also but I have a long way to go, I'm up to 100 watts YA HOO
    Rene
  • n3qik

Thanks
    Right now in a bind on the system. The days are getting shorter, so put the frig back on the grid. With temps at 50-70 deg. shut down the geothermal system. Now only generating/using 1,200 watts daily compared to 3,000 watts. I know there could be another 300 to 600 watts but how to use it?

Oh well in another month, I maybe using the battery charger to maintain the batteries. At this time of the year wish I would have done a grid-tied system. But after the first power outage this winter, with me still warm and the lights on, I will be happier than a pig in mud:D