New Product -- OutBack FLEXmax 60 MPPT Charge Controller

crewzer
crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
OutBack introduced the new FLEXmax 60 MPPT charge controller at Intersolar North America in San Francisco on July 16, 2008.

Link to product announcement: http://www.outbackpower.com/news/article/40/
Link to info and specs: http://www.outbackpower.com/products/charge_controllers/

Regards to all,
Jim Goodnight
"crewzer"
Eastern Regional Sales Manager
OutBack Power Systems

Comments

• nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Re: New Product -- OutBack FLEXmax 60 MPPT Charge Controller

Jim,

Two things is it shipping now and is the price the same as previous MX

Regards Nigel
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    Jim,

Two things is it shipping now and is the price the same as previous MX

Regards Nigel

It's $699.00 list. (seven hundred bucks, US essentially)
    :D:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

crewzer or boB,
    do either of you know if the flexmax has an adjustment for the mv/degree c/2v cell in using the bts so that batteries that require other variations could be used such as the concorde sunxtender line that needs 2.75mv or was that 3.75mv (altzheimers)?
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

also whats the max open circuit voltage we can throw at it?

Whoops answered my own question it is still rated at 150 volts max
  • crewzer

Thanks for all of the interest! Answers to questions, in reverse order:
    • Absolute maximum Voc is 150 V. The operational Voc limit has been increased a bit from ~141 Voc for the latest MX60 to 145 V for the FM60 and FM80.
    • FLEXmax charge controller temp comp feature is fixed at -5 mV / 2V cell / C (-30 mV / C for a 12 V battery), ref 25 C (77 F). I interpret Concorde’s chart to be -4.5 mV / 2V cell / C average between 0 C and 40 C (-27 mV / C for a 12 V battery), and -5 mV / 2 V cell / C average between -30 C and 50 C (-30 mV / C for a 12 V battery). See: http://www.sunxtender.com/otherpdf/agmfloatandtemp.pdf
    • U.S. list price is $699
    • Shipping is scheduled to start in ~two weeks.
    Nigel,

Local information may be available from our European Office:
    OutBack Power Systems S.L.U: European Office
    Kelly Lane
    Director of Sales
    Telephone Number: +34.93.654.9568
    Fax: +34.93.661.7731
    Address: C/ Castelló 17, 08330 Sant Boi de Llobregat
    BARCELONA
    España
  • niel

it is 3.75mv/degree c/cell for sunxtenders. even my sb50 doesn't hit it exactly, but offers 2 choices of 2 and 5mv. that splits it almost down the middle.:cry:
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Always one to stir the stew with a woden spoon a couple of questions.

1.I Guess the FM60 being fan cooled has a good new reliable fan !
    2. Not withstanding a quality fan is the new one easier to replace than the MX60 should failure occurr like the FM80 claims its fan is easier to service.

Regards Nigel
  • crewzer

I'll check on the fan questions!

Jim / crewzer
  • crewzer

Follow up:

The fan used in the new FM60 is an improved model equipped with ball bearings, and it's life rated at 70,000 hours.

The fan replacement procedure is the same as for the legacy MX60.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel

now for my question/request. can they make the mv/degree c/cell varriable over a small range or at least a few more optional setpoints?
  • crewzer

Request noted!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Jim,

A quick question. How many estimated life hours is the MX60 fan rated for?

I planned to replace both CCs' with new Flexmax80s' (or their eventual technology iterations) when I replace my batteries 6 years from now (batteries and CCs' purchased three years ago).

My reasoning is CC and battery life a conservative 9 years or, about 79,000 operating hours. I want to minimize "near to end of life" equipment failures. What do you think?
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • crewzer

Mangas,

(I misread your post... :blush: here's a more appropriate response.)

I don't know the life rating for the MX60's fan... I'll have to check. The new FM60's ball-bearing fan is rated for 70,000 hours, but it wouldn't run full time. Let me see what I can find out about specs and a retrofit...

HTH,
    Jim Goodnight
    "crewzer"
    Eastern Regional Sales Manager
    OutBack Power Systems
  • crewzer

Mangas,

I'm unable to secure a life spec for the MX60 fan. Reading between the lines, I gather it's not nearly as good as the spec for the ball-bearing model used in the new FLEXmax 60 controller.

There's also a question about if the new fan can be retrofitted into the legacy MX60 controller, as the front casting is slightly different. I'll be at the OutBack plant in Arlington, WA, in October (20-24), and I'll try to remember to check into this issue when I'm there.

I tend to be a bit forgetful every now and then, so don't be bashful about sending a reminder to me! ;)

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

OK and thanks very much Jim.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers