Xantrex Mystery News

Options
Windsun
Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
This came across my Google alerts for Xantrex on July 23rd, with no further info of any type:
...Burnaby-based Xantrex Technology, maker of power conversion devices, soared $2.00, or 19 per cent, to $12.62 after the company said it is in takeover talks with unnamed buyers....

http://www.xantrex.com/web/did/1855/readnews.asp

Comments

• nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex Mystery News

Well Im not surprised after Jim joined OB that things would go strength to strength but a little early for me to gamble on an OB take over . Maybe the brothers Midnight have a leverage package along with a consortium to buy back there baby..................i was only 10 yrs from an aggressive bid my self....pipped at the post...........damm
  • Windsun
    Options

I doubt that OB is involved. 29 million shares at $12 each is a pretty large pile of cash. Total assets around $240 million.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The "X" was talking with GE a while back... Maybe it's them again ?
    Or, somebody else...

No, it's not OB.

boB :D
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

GE would be my guess as well, I know that GE re-sells the Xantrex GT series inverter and in the Sandia sponsered Next Generation Inverter design, the XW won over the GE design effort, which GE then cancelled ( never brought to market ) .

Xantrex is north of 200 million in revenues, not to many companys in these troubled credit times that could buy a company of this size. GE also bought AstroPower at Bankruptcy sale, so it all seems to fit
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

OK I bow to insider knowledge but my post was tounge in cheek...... is this the end of X at offgrid level it has positioned inself really high on sinewave installs but with gec are they going to address the smaller market of re or are they moving to provide publc renewable solutions
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sure who ever buys them is doing so for the products they sell, I'd expect at most a name change and not much else.

The WX line is the most advanced products on the market, pretty smart for who-ever to get all that 5+ years of R&D which a product that can ship for another 10+ years ... Time will tell
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

if it is ge then i guess they figure if you can't beat them, take them over. with ge there goes much of xantrex's inovation.
  • Windsun
    Options

28 July 2008

...Schneider Electric is to purchase Xantrex Technology, Inc. in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $412 million. Xantrex is a top 3 global player in the solar and wind inverter market and number 1 in the U.S. As a condition to the sale, Xantrex will divest its programmable power business to AMETEK, Inc. for $120 million in cash. ...

News Release
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting thought...

Schneider make Square D QO series - Distribution boxes, Circuit breakers etc...

all DC rated... a good fit...;)

EJ

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada