72v controller

Options
adas
adas Solar Expert Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
Aloha, is there a 72v 20A contoller available? I have some Gem cars to charge and it makes more sense to charge right off the PV rather than inverting then going through a 72v charger.

Frank

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: 72v controller

Might be difficult to find a 72 volt native solar charger--Above 60 volts, the NEC treats everything as hazardous voltages. And all of the safety issues that go with that...

You could make your own PWM type charger (~90 volt Vmp), relay, and voltage/current monitoring. You may just have it manually trip when mostly charged, then use the GEM AC charger for the final charging...

Of course, this only makes sense if you charge during the day and run the vehicles in the dark (or charge on alternate days)... Even though this costs you 20% battery and 15% inverter losses--you may end up being able to collect additional power with your standard system (MPPT+batteries always connected, and a dedicate infrastructure) that trying to jockey around dedicated charging of your GEMs.

By the way, how do you like the GEM? If they were still being built now--it would probably something I would consider (over the ZAP).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • adas
    adas Solar Expert Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 72v controller
    BB. wrote: »

By the way, how do you like the GEM? If they were still being built now--it would probably something I would consider (over the ZAP).

-Bill

Aloha, I just got them in a delapitated condition from a rental shop. Did the Gem warranty upgrade. IMHO they are nothing more than a street legal golf cart. I think they are still made as Chrysler took them over. So I think i need to by a 72 v charger for one of the cars. The other one is totally dead so will need to trouble shoot it.

frank