remote temperature sensor

Options
so if you're paralelling two charge controllers (mx60 and sunsaver mppt) whats your take on using RTS on only one controller (the mx60)? NAWS doesnt offer one for the sunsaver and I havent had any luck locating one on other sites. think its possible to use the mx60 probe for both units????

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: remote temperature sensor

A battery temperature sensor is highly recommended... Try calling NAWS directly. One should be available (according to the Morning Star specs.).

Usually, a controller with a remote sensor will use its internal compensation--and because the controller's temperature rises during normal operation--it typically overestimates the temperature and undercharges the battery.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

The SunSaver Mppt should be mandatory for a battery temp sensor, its the same one for all the MorningStar controllers.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Going by NAWS' site, the one BTS the listed for MorningStar products:
    Remote Temperature Sensor for all Morningstar controllers except SunSaver and SunGuard

BTS manual (PDF)

:confused:

I think you will have to call NAWS and/or MorningStar support for the current information.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have a pair of the MS sensors and the MorningStarCorp website onlys lists one BTS

I'm sure its only one for all the MorningStar controllers; While they haven't upgraded the webpage, listed as controllers are:

ProStar (Gen 2)
    TriStar
    SunKeeper
    SunSaver Duo

and I'm 100% sure the SunSaverMppt uses the same as the above contollers ( I have also verified with the Engineers at MS )

http://support.morningstarcorp.com/item.cfm?ItemId=29
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I called morningstar and they do only make one RTS and it will work on the sunsaver. wish I would have addressed this before I ordered the controller from NAWS. oh well, typical. thanks guys mark