E6 vs E9 - Am I reading this right?

Options
Looks like E9 offers a tremendous price break in that the maximum rates are much lower than E6 when going over baseline quantities. It almost looks like it would be more affordable to get an EV car, switch over to E9 and not get solar.

Am I missing something here? Bill? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: E6 vs E9 - Am I reading this right?

You will have to check with PG&E--but, from what little I understand, there was a drawback with having both an E1/E6/E7 meter for your home and an E9 meter for your car.

From what I recall (a few years ago--back when PG&E was doing baseline + solar calculations incorrectly--from another thread)--you may only end up with one baseline allowance for your home. So--while your E9 off-peak rate is $0.05-$0.20 per kWhr, it might also push your E6 baseline rate up too ($0.33 per kWhr maximum)...

Or, the issue may have been with solar--it would "unwind" your E6 rate plan--but not affect (reduce) your E9 tier...

I don't know--but there was an issue for people that had both EV and Solar GT--and they where taking out their E9 meters and sticking with one meter for the whole home.

And yet, when I looked deeper--there is an E9A and an E9B rate plan... E9A is if you have one meter for your home (car+home) and E9B is for when you have two meters and only charge the car with the E9B rate.

And, it seems to me, E9A (home+car) is the way to go... The top off-peak rate (max tier) is much cheaper than the E9B rate...

Give PG&E a call and see what they say (and probably get it in writing).

I would be interested to hear what you find.

-Bill :confused:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks. I'll also need to ask them what qualifies as an EV car...i.e. would a PHEV count?
  • BB.
    Options

Sorka,

Also, see if you can get a spreadsheet from PG&E of the multiple plans (E1/6/7/9a/9b)... It would be interesting to do some what-if planing.

PG&E has "what-if" planning on the business rate side of the website--but not on the residential.

Also, remember that we are probably, in some areas at least, within a year or three of real-time power pricing--and it appears to be mandatory for anyone with a small Grid Tied generating system when it becomes available.

Ask them for a roll-out plan and how it would affect you (mandatory, phase-in, depends on rate plan/GT solar/EV/PHEV/etc. or what).

All your (and mine) detailed planning will probably get tossed out the window when real-time pricing comes to fruition.

I think Solar GT will still be important (for example, if you want to use power during the day for A/C, pumping, cooking) and not pay $0.53 per kWhr (or more).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

My 6KW GT system is going in first week of July. Even if I wanted to get out of it, it's too late. I don't want to get out of it though.

Real time meter will be great provided the give us the kinds of rates seen in other states. I would seriously have to consider a battery bank at that point. In some states the rates go down to 1 penny / KWh during the wee hours of middle of the night.
  • BB.
    Options

I am not quite sure that it current makes sense to add a battery bank/inverter/charge controller to shift power usage with even a $0.01 per kWhr cost...

My 3kW GT system (with California rebates and Fed tax break) is around $0.14-$0.17 per kWhr (~$0.25 per kWhr without rebates/tax credits over 25 year life)... The other costs (including battery replacement) end up adding another ~$0.25-$0.75 per kWhr (based on the other times I tried to figure out the cost per kWhr for off grid systems)... (not including interest costs, taxes, or 20%+ power losses from cycling the battery/AC system)

So, even "free power" from the utility may still end up costing more than Grid Tied power and 1 year net metering.

You need a good financial model before just jumping into the power shifting business.

-Bill