Grid Tie Help

Hey im new to this forum and sort of new to this solar thing. My first solar project was to convert a bedroom to solar power, kind of still working on it about half done. All the panels are self made from cells bought online, and hook up to a morningstar prostar 30 A controller and thats connected to 6 deep cycle batteries. So far i think i have total of 200watts from the panels and using 2 tvs, lamp, laptop from it. With success in the single bedroom experiment i was planning on continuing throughout the whole house, but further research i discovered that batteries as a storage are not very efficient. So my whole plan kind of change now and i plan to use a grid tie inverter to avoid the batteries. What i need to know is if this at all possible and does the inverter need to be pro installer or can i do it by myself? thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Grid Tie Help

Assuming you are in California and you can mount the panels somewhere and do the wiring yourself--it is not a technically difficult project.

Normally, you will need building permits, and OK from your utility (they have forms, and require homeowners insurance), and be able to work out the details of wire type, gauge, connections, electrical box requirements and such...

If the array is mounted on the roof, you will probably need a Professional Engineer to sign-off the plans, and probably a licensed electrician to make the final connections and sign them off.

And, if you are going to apply for the California rebates--you will need to understand the details to apply for that--may not possible to apply for the rebates without a solar installer in the middle--don't know.

If you have watched/helped with one install--doing the next is probably a lot easier. Here is a thread with a link to an installation video done by one of the folks here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

thanks for the response and great video, just a little weird for the first minute there.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'm also guessing with strong certainty that your inefficiency of charging was due to the fact you are undercharging those 6 batteries. 6 typical deep cycle batteries will not properly charge with 200w of pv unless they are like the small ups batteries.
    give us some detail on the making of the pv(s) on what you used to do it with and how.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Well so far the system has worked fairly well, everyday with abundant sunshine the system voltage is between 12.8-13.2. With normal use at night time voltage rarely drops below 12.4 . To your question of how i make the pvs. With the cells i buy from ebay rated at .5v 2amp each cell i solder 9 down 4 across for a total of 36 cells per pv. then i put it between two plexiglass and use sealant to seal all sides and finally hooking it up to the charge controller. I can show you some pics if you want to see.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you have not yet--take a read through the Storage Battery FAQ.

It sounds like you still may be undercharging the battery bank a bit...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

gh,
    though i opened myself up for that one you will find that plexiglass won't last and does not pass the light very well. commercial pvs use lead free glass and special sealers. it is not as easy or cheap as you think to turm out a quality pv from a homebrew arrangement.