Setting up 2 inverters

Options
firefly
firefly Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭
Have just installed 2 VFX2812'S in parallel, but having a little trouble getting my generator to stop tripping. Have set the one inverter as the master and the other as the slave, but not quite sure if I have to put in the values for the master only or should both mirror each other. The gen is a Honda 7000i showing a total amp of 45.8 @ 240 volts. I am running the gen at 240 volt into a Outback transformer and stepping it down to 120 volt. I am thinking that I should set the master input at 22 amps and do the same for the slave, then set the charging limit for the master at say 10 amps for the master and 9 amps for the slave, hoping with combined house loads and charging this will eliminate generator tripping. Would someone please comment ,if I have my thinking correct?

Comments

• nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Setting up 2 inverters

Hi with due respect to all NAWS members you havent had a reply currently on this particular post . As this is an involved Outback equipment Technical Question may I suggest you may try Outbacks own forum for an answer !

Here

Many of NAWS Outback experts also tread this Manufacturers Forum also.

Hope this helps;)
  • firefly
    Options

I did and have not had a reply on their's either, I guess it is just a dumb question.;)
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options

Firefly
    It is not a dumb question, just a little difficult to answer. It appears that your 7000i has about 46 amp available, and your 2 2812's will draw 28 amps just to charge the batteries without figuring in any pass through loads, so that is well within the capacity of your generator. If you have large pass thru loads nearing 20 amps then that could deffintly trip your generator. I would say that you are on the right track and you should try cutting back on the charge amps of both inverters and see if that helps.
    I have the same setup that you do but I do not have the x-240, but am thinking about getting one in the future. Good luck with yours, they are great equipment.
    Larry
  • firefly
    Options

Thanks Larry.....I will try to do just that.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Firefly,

A couple of things to consider and adjust:

1) The 7000 "Watt" generator’s continuous power rating is 5500 VA, and the main two-pole circuit breaker is rated at 25 A per pole.
    2) The spec for the 120/240 VAC output connector is 120/240 VAC x 22.9 A.
    3) Inductive loads and related power factor issues may be pushing your system harder than it might appear. For example, a 5,500 W load with a power factor of 0.9 would mean a load of 6,111 VA, or 25.5 A per hot leg.
    4) The X-240 transformer is rated at 4 kW convection-cooled, and 6 kW forced air-cooled. I’d expect its loss at 4 kW to be ~150 W, so that load may need to be figured into your calculations.
    5) Assuming the X-240 is connected to the generator’s 120/240 VAC receptacle, there mustn’t be any other loads connected to any of the other generator receptacles.
    6) With one FX set as the master and the other as the slave, you should be able to use the same current limit parameters for both. The master FX will decide when to call on the slave to meet high power demands.
    7) The AAC settings are neither precise nor consistent. You might want to try 20 A for the AAC limit for power input from the generator, and perhaps 15 AAC for the charger (depending on battery bank size), using the same settings for both FX’.
    8 ) The FX’ will reduce charge current to the batteries if the total current to down stream loads and to the chargers exceeds ~20 AAC per FX.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • firefly
    Options

Thanks Jim.....will post updates as they happen.
    Steve/Firefly