4-6v deep cell batteries

shortfatguy
shortfatguy Solar Expert Posts: 42
I can pickup (FREE) 4 6v deep cell batteries used for a floor scrubber with the following specs: 170 min discharge @ 75A, 335 20A hour rating, 745 RC at 25A.

These are 1-2 years old.

Q: Are these worth picking up?
Q: What is the expected lifespan
Q: How would I keep these from freezing in the winter at -10 below?

Thanks

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 4-6v deep cell batteries

By all means, pick them up. The worst that will happen is that you will have to recycle them!

You will want to fully charge and test them. Life expectancy is largely an issue as to how they were treated, how many cycles, how deep was the average discharge.

A question to ask is why are they getting rid of them. Another thing to keep in mind is that you should never add old batteries to a string of new batteries, or vise-versa.

As for keeping them from freezing: A fully charged lead acid battery won't freeze until ~-40. My batteries live in an unheated shed where the shed temp routinely gets to -30f. I have never had a problem. The way you keep them from freezing is keeping them charged. (solar or otherwise)

I suggest you read and understand the following: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

http://www.rpc.com.au/products/batteries/car-deepcycle/carfaq4.htm#charge

Good luck,

Icarus
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Only pick them up if getting them is not going to cost much in gas... you can get walmart type 105ah 6V for 50-60 bucks everyday
  • shortfatguy

Thanks you.

I was not aware walmart sold deep cell batteries to power floor scrubbers.

MW
  • shortfatguy

Icarus - Thanks for the info. The batteries were purchased two years ago for a floor old scrubber that just died. New scrubber was purchased and the batteries just sat around.

Not sure if walmart would have what I require for a off-the-grid system.

cheers,

Mw
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

A big question is how long did they sit around without a full charge? Undercharged batteries get killed from sitting around under charged. General rule of thumb is 100% every week. If they were taken out at 100% and stored for several months they might be fine. On the other hand if they were taken out at 50% and just sat, you would in all likelyhood have some heavy recylables.

Icarus
  • Solar Guppy

Walmart and Sams both sell 6V golf cart batteries ... just about every low-end system probably uses this for a battery bank
  • shortfatguy

Guppy,

I've never seen a 110 pound deep cell battery at Walmart here in CT. Could not find one on Walmart web site. Where's your walmart that has these batteries for my low-end system

Thank you for your time.

mw
  • Solar Guppy

Sams sells the 6 volt ~200ah golf cart batterys, Walmart sells the 12 volt 105 ah deep cycle marine, they are both deep cycle batterys, Sams and Walmart do not list allot of products on there web-site.

If you doubt me, use google for sams golf cart battery and see the zillions of hits for others that have bought them, I have bought the 12V ones from walmart and used them in my first battery backup system
  • shortfatguy

Solar Gup

I do not doubt you at this time, otherwise thank you for your time.

Mw