Who to go to and who to run from.

Options
Hi, I'm new and like the idea of self installation. I've been checking the internet for kit suppliers but don't know who are reputable. This is a big expense and I don't want to get burned so if you guys could let me know who to buy from or who to stay away from I sure would appreciate it.

thanks for any input...... johninfresno

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Who to go to and who to run from.

If you are going to try and self install a solar grid tied inverter system, check with your local building department and utility first and see what their requirements are...

You will need a licensed electrician to approve your installation and licensed structural engineer (PE) to certify the structure (if you are going with a roof mount).

And, if you are going to apply for the State rebate--you will need the form and application requirements from them.

You can probably save 25%-50% by purchasing the parts and doing the install yourself--but if this is your first time--getting all of the paper work in order may be more difficult than doing the install yourself.

The panels, purchase good mono or poly crystalline silicon panels on price (my 2 cents, avoid HIT and Thin Film panels for now unless you have special needs; US, German, Japan mfg. panels seem to be good)--from a supplier you trust and get good support from. There are a few gotcha's out there--Most of the inverters are negative ground and the standard panels work fine with them. There is a major panel mfg. out there that requires positive grounded inverters to work properly--so you have to match the panels with the mfg. that offers that option.

Inverter wise--Xantrex GT series seems to work pretty well and is very efficient.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Who to go to and who to run from.

The Forum Host NAWS has an excellent reputation, does mail order so theres one to run too. Locally you may consider searches on the internet for feed back.
    on suppliers and installers in your area.

There are a couple of cowboy firms out there and if you get a local company try searching for them on here if they are well know bad and uglyboys they will have possibly cropped up in several Topics on this forum.