Did you look inside the controller?

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Let me explain the significance of, “Did you look inside the controller?”

A gentleman I know purchased an advertised 2 kw wind turbine from whom he thought was a legitimate manufacturer. He had multiple, catastrophic problems with his overpriced, Chinese imported, (unknowing to him) overrated, and technically illegal for use in the U.S., wind turbine.

The installer telephoned the importer, a.k.a. the manufacturer, and conveyed to him about the dismal level of quality that existed with this wind system, especially the controller box. The installer told the importer that the charge controller was not UL listed and when hooked up and tested became so hot that the paint began to burn on top of the controller box. The installer also noted that the controller had many NEC violations and cannot be hooked up safely or legally and the controller, in his opinion, was a piece of Chinese shit.

The importer quickly came back with, “Did you look inside the controller?” The installer asked him what that had to do with the piece of shit not being able to work. The importer again asked, “Did you look inside the controller?” Finally, the installer said no. The importer said that if he had taken the time to look inside the controller, he would have noticed that it is well built and of excellent quality.
The installer was not going to take one screw out of that piece of junk and void any sort of warranty. The charge controller was eventually replaced with an identical, inferior unit. After contacting the installer, I acquired the controller to analyze it. I took the back cover off to discover that indeed, this unit is a total piece of crap. Hell will surely freeze over before this charge controller will ever see a UL certification.

Attached are actual pictures of this charge controller, which was hooked up to a Sunny Boy inverter supplied by the importer for use. Yes, a Sunny Boy inverter, not a Windy Boy inverter, and NO, THIS WILL NOT WORK!

I urge everyone to research his or her prospective renewable energy products and DO NOT solely rely on the information from the manufacturer, or in this case, a lying importer.

Kim

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: Did you look inside the controller?

It is unfortunate that with the hype in wind power also comes snake oil. but I don't think that will ever change.

Especially as long as people don't stop to think WHY someone is selling something for half the typical price.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Let me explain the significance of, “Did you look inside the controller?”
    Kim

Had a look at your photos of the "controller". The second photo is an interesting one. A fan cooled electric heater with it's heating element discolored from the heat. Hahahaha An awesome design there. Is there a safety to shut down the heating element if the fan were to fail? I don't see a thermostat, or thermal fuse - - - Very interesting.
    Wayne
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Maybe we need a new section to post "the good, the bad, and the ugly" product reviews :p
  • Chuck46
    Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95

Hey! The "Good, Bad and the Ugly " is a good idea. Obviously this would fall into the Bad and Ugly catagory :-)

Chuck
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Chuck,
    Did you look inside the controller? You might want to look inside the controller before passing any judgment. -) Never mind that it does not work. Just look into the crystal ball.......uh, I mean, look inside the controller.

Kim

QUOTE=Chuck46;16056]Hey! The "Good, Bad and the Ugly " is a good idea. Obviously this would fall into the Bad and Ugly catagory :-)

Chuck[/QUOTE]