something to watch out for

Ralph Day
Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
Hope the doom sayers don't take this and run with it! Not the best promotion for large scale wind power.

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/25...e-self-de.html

Ralph

Comments

• Noodles
    Noodles Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Re: something to watch out for

Yes, there are a few other threads on here with that story/link.

This is a perfect example why someone should only purchase a third-world country, sweat-shop made, American-marketed turbine..........
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I couldn't view the link. Does it still exist?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If I remember correctly, the link was another version of this Danish wind turbine that failed in high winds (apparently an older system/design where the hydraulic brake failed to stop the turbine--so it eventually over sped and the blade system failed--taking out the whole tower).

Here is a YouTube version of the event. Same event was posted here a bit earlier.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

Thanks Bill.
    I don't understand Noodles reply. Was he/she just being sarcastic?
    Kim

BB. wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the link was another version of this Danish wind turbine that failed in high winds (apparently an older system/design where the hydraulic brake failed to stop the turbine--so it eventually over sped and the blade system failed--taking out the whole tower).

Here is a YouTube version of the event. Same even was posted here a bit earlier.

-Bill
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Yes Kimberly,

Noodles was being sarcastic. Even an well engineered wind turbine system, from a European country with a long history of wind power implementations still can have problems as their products age (and possibly maintenance issues) and one can get "energetic disassembly" (blades have been found up to a mile from the site when a turbine has failed--don't know about specifically this event).

There has been a lot of activity from (poorly built, mass marketed) Chinese built systems and the danger of putting one atop 120' tower on a 50'x100' lot in a suburban environment is not always well understood by the general public. Wind-Sun commented a few days ago on another thread, that probably the number one problem they see is failing blades. Falling objects from a tall tower should scare anyone.

Even the NYTimes is publishing fluff pieces for wind turbines...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    BB. wrote: »
    "energetic disassembly"

-Bill

Haha I love that term. Perfectly describes my first attempt at a "home made" wind turbine. Spent weeks forming a beautiful 14 foot long blade of wood. Was shocked by the power it produced. Then I came home one wk-end and found a six foot portion of the blade sticking out of the barn roof, where it had been driven in like a giant knife.
    Except for a one foot long tip, the rest of the blade was never seen again.
    Now I know it had been subjected to "energetic disassembly". Haha
    Wayne
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that is a good play on words. kind of reminds me of the old tv show/movie "the fugitive" as the episode/segment can be 'parts on the run'.:roll:
    it can also be called "freedom flyer" instead of frequent flyer as the trip is one-way. good thing i'm not in the comedy business.:p