Florida Rebate Risk

wilsonbh
wilsonbh Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
OK, I'm very close to installing my 4.18kw grid tie system. Going out on a financial limb to do this, in great hopes that the Florida rebate comes through. For those already traveled this path, can I ask how long before you got your rebate once the paperwork was filed?

Appreciate any feedback....

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Florida Rebate Risk

4 Weeks from when funds were available
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

The rebate program in Florida ran out of money for this fiscal year. It was funded with $3.5 million last year and I hear it is going to be funded this year with $10 million. My system was installed in February and my rebate application has been approved if the program in funded again. I went out on a limb also, I knew the money was going quickly and tried to get mine installed before it did run dry. I came up a few weeks late. You and I will have to wait until July at the earliest to receive our rebates.
  • System2

Looks like it is even more of risk now with the budget crisis here in florida. Hopefully, they will still fund the program though.
  • Solar Guppy

Gov. Crist is very pro RE ... it will get funded
  • System2

I read in the paper the other day that the money had been approved for the new fiscal year. I hope I read it right because I am waiting on my 20k rebate.
  • System2

Hey guys, I happen to know from some people talking to the government and solar lobby men that 5 million is in the pot in June, but 3.5 million is already spoken for.

So... this means that you should put in solar fast because the money will run out in about 3 months after the 5 mil go in!

But no worries, I was asking around and found out that legally they have to put in money next year too, so it'll be there this year and next.

So really no worries about getting your money or not.
  • System2

Any updates on this? I am in NE Florida and about to pull the trigger on 4kw array with rebates will be under $10k assuming the federal credit >2k can be rolled over to the following year which I understand it can.

Still scared though. $16k is $16k. But a lot of installers will go out of business if it doesn't get funded.

Thx
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

In California, typically the installers take the risk on the rebates (and the state gives "conformations" that the paperwork is correct and money is available).

If your installer is not willing to take the risk (accept your "rebate check in the mail" as payment in full)--then you should really look at whether or not you can afford to take the risk of the rebate not coming through...

In California, there have been multiple times that the rebates looked to be in doubt--but later were funded... However, the last round of funding came with some pretty big program changes that darn near stopped all installs because of the changes (how rebates were to be managed, how systems would be billed using Time Of Use metering, etc.).

Solar Guppy is in Florida and has a pretty good picture of how the rebates go year to year--he would be one of the best here to tell you the risk/reward ratio for this upcoming period.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy

An update on available funds for the Florida rebate program:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/energy/energyact/solar.htm

Looks like poeple figured out the only way to get funds for next year is to have done the systems this year and hence got in line for the next round of funds. The mad dash for the cash looks like they have used up all the funds coming online next week, so those that waited will have no funds.

If you can't wait till next year ( 2009 ) to get paid, looks like the funds are gone. It is/was the easiest to quailify for and largest payout of any rebate in the country, no surpise the funds are gone.