MagLev Wind Turbine

http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/11/26/super-powered-magnetic-wind-turbine-maglev/

A Chinese company plans to produce wind turbines from 400w to 5Kw with this new technology...

"In the US, Arizona-based MagLev Wind Turbine Technologies will be manufacturing these turbines. Headed by long-time renewable energy researcher Ed Mazur, the company claims that it will be able to deliver clean power for less than one cent per kilowatt hour with this new technology."

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: MagLev Wind Turbine

Haha, can't you just see the NIMBY's gathering from across North America to put a stop to this one "before anyone gets any bright ideas"?
    Global warming and destruction of the planet? Who in their right mind would care about that if the choice was seeing one of those things on a far away hill every time we looked out a window? Besides, just the thoughts of the intense magnetic field from the bearings are giving me cancer. Not to mention the tornadoes that would constantly be spun off the vertical rotors. Ha Ha, I can hear it all now.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Wayne,

How could you sound so cynical? I'd have thought after a "summer" :cry: like the last one you'd be first in line for something to back up your solar. What kind of energy harvest did you get last summer? Wouldn't a mega watt, or maybe just a Kw machine have helped out?:p

Imagine the Hollywood special effects of an airplane flying into one, or one falling over while running? The movie Contact had a mega destructo scene when the Nasa mystery machine #1 destroyed itself after sabotage. The possibilities are endless.

ralph
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

actually i was thinking this should go in News, Reviews, & Hype. i let it go to see if the op wanted serious discussion on it or not as it seems more a commercial ad for vaporware to me.
    i will wait to do anything to see what comes of it.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I'll believe 100% of it when I see it. The article has way too little info to get on any band wagon. I am always skeptical of claims like "1000 times more effecient than any other windmill." Truth is do a bit of math and you will realize how crazy that is.

One person's opinion
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I think that looks like the place where millionaires are made in an instant, WHAT DO THEY CALL IT?? Oh ya Las Vegas...

ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • System2
    niel wrote: »
    actually i was thinking this should go in News, Views, & Hype. i let it go to see if the op wanted serious discussion on it or not as it seems more a commercial ad for vaporware to me.
    i will wait to do anything to see what comes of it.

You guys ARE cynical! :) I can understand part of it, though. Yeah, since it's a new technology and few are aware of it, move it to News and Views if you like. I overlooked that forum initially or I probably would have placed the thread there. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the hype become reality. Hopefully, I don't have to wait too long. ;)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"Yeah, since it's a new technology and few are aware of it, move it to News and Views if you like. I overlooked that forum initially or I probably would have placed the thread there."

you got your wish.:-):D
  • System2

This product has a website now so it must be real: :p

http://magturbine.com/

No, I haven't registered, but I know one of you curious souls will. ;)
  • System2

Haha, I wonder why they need to have my email address before they'll let me see the "information". Well, they ain't getin mine! :p