Xantrex XBM Remote Monitoring ?

More of a computer question then a Solar Question.
We have a wireless nextwork at our home. I have an old lap top running on Windows XP with the Xantrex Battery Monitor conected to it via the XBM commuications kit and software. The software operates perfectly on this Laptop.

However I wanted to be able to monitor this software on Laptops in the house. Im not brilliant with networks but a friend set up a shared folder so I can see the XBM software remotely via other laptops on our network. The problem is that when I open the software on another Laptop in the house it reports that the software can not access the com port the software opens and displays but all the meters are blank because the com port isnt open. I think that the software is trying to use a comm port on the remote PC rather than on the Laptop in the Solar Shed.

PS There is no XBM software installed on the remote PCs it just runs the software in the shared folder off the Solar Shed Laptop so that bit works

If I return to the Solar Shed and click on the XBM icon the software opens and functions properly.

Is there an easy fix for this Network Numpty....or a completely different and easier way to do it ?

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex XBM Remote Monitoring ?

The program uses ports on the computer the program is running, not from where the .exe file is located

The simple thing to do is leave the program running on the laptop and for remote views, use xp's built in remote desktop feature. I'm not going to walk you thru how or what it is, use google if you need more information
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Thanks SG Ill start googling :D
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

A word of advice. TURN OFF ALL FIREWALLS when setting it up for the first time on the laptop in the solar shed.

Don't ask how many hours lost due to this.:cry::cry:
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Success with a third party software called Remote Desktop Control 1.9 . No need to disable fire walls set up as a LAN rather than IP address as ours is Dynamic.

Picture shows the Xantrex XBM software being displayed on house laptop of SolarShed Laptop. Screen shot was taken at the end of a very sunny day just as the solar system started discharging