Mx60 Clicks

Greetings:

Early in the morning, my mx60 clicks repeatedly, and the display changes between "snoozing" and "sweeping". I guess the clicking is caused by a relay.

Is this clicking normal?
Can I do something to "teach" the mx60 not to click so often?

Thanks.

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Mx60 Clicks

Yes, you can change the clicking condition and interval. Go into the MX' ADVANCED MENU, and then to WAKEUP MODE. You can increase the Voc delta (very helpful for high voltage arrays) and/or the max wakeup interval.

I have a 48 V array and a 24 V system. My WAKEUP MODE is set for 4.5 Voc and 10 mins. This way, the array voltage must increase by 4.5 V from the last wakeup attempt or the controller must wait for ten minutes -- whichever comes first -- before it will try another wakeup routine.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

>>> I have a 48 V array and a 24 V system. My WAKEUP MODE is set for 4.5 Voc and 10 mins.

Upping that voltage differential was a good idea but I wonder why they stopped at 4.5 Volts ??

boB
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for that info Crewzer! I've been wanting to make adjustments to fix that "problem" too. but never got around to figuring it out. Thanks a lot :)
    Wayne
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

With older versions of the MX software...mine is 1.2.4.4 can we only adjust the sweep interval? I'm already at 15 minutes. Are the adjustments you spoke of here available but in a different way?

Thanks
    ralph
  • crewzer

Gents,

As always, glad to help. Besides, this type of work is much more satisfying and productive that arguing over the pros and cons of the NEC. ;) :roll:

boB: The WAKEUP setting is user programmable. The adjustment ranges are 1.5 V to 9.5 V, and 5 minutes to 15 minutes. I've found that 4.5 V and 10 minutes works “well enough” for my 48/24 system.

Ralph: I believe the “Wakeup Mode” feature was introduced with MX60 firmware revisions 5.10 and 5.11. You can contact OutBack to arrange to swap the controller board in your MX60. Here are links to the CB swap instructions and to the latest MX operating manual:

http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_manuals/MX60 Fan Replacement Instructions_REV_A.pdf
    http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_manuals/MX60_REV_ C.pdf

Note that the AUX polarity feature was deleted in this firmware version.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Crewzer,
    What are the benefits of more up to date control board? This could also be the best time to replace the fan (not gone, but if off the wall and apart...).

Or conversely, if i got both packages to do when my fan goes, there'd be no waiting for shipping. Will the MX unit operate without the fan? Do some folks remove the heatsink face and blow a fan over the open unit?

THanks
    Ralph
  • crewzer

Ralph,

The latest MX60 firmware (rev 5.10 / 5.11) includes some tweaks and a few "new" features. One tweak is that restart overshoot has been improved to help reduce "false" high voltages into inverters. New features include the programmable "Wakeup" parameters discussed above as well as temp comp limit settings.

It might be worth downloading the latest manual and comparing it against the one for your firmware rev.

My experience is that the MX60 can operate without the fan when ambient temp (on the inside of my garage's NE wall) is ~68 F (20 C) or less. In other words, my MX' fan only runs in the summer and early fall. The heatsink face can't be removed, but you can leave the wiring box cover off to improve convection cooling.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2

Interesting thing on the restart voltage overshoot. I've been having that problem during periods of real cold weather and it shuts down my fridge and freezer inverter, just when I want to run the freezer non stop all sunny day long. I manually do an inverter restart and all is OK until the next time the MX-60 restarts :(
    Slightly warmer weather and all is OK because the batteries are warmer, so voltages are lower.
    Wayne
  • crewzer

Wayne,

You might try running your MX in Auto Restart Mode 1 instead of Mode 2 (default). Mode 1 limit will periodic auto restarts to the bulk mode only, and it might therefore help with the cold weather overshoots.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2

Crewzer:

Since my array is 36 volts (yours is 48 volts), and my batteries are 24 volts, will your "4.5 Voc and 10 minutes" be still satisfactory? Or should I cut in half those numbers?

Thanks again for your invaluable help!
  • System2

I'm 12 and 24 volts, set it to 4.5 and 10 early this morning and it seems great :)
    Thanks a lot Crewzer, really appreciate it.
    I only now saw your suggestion re overshoot. I'll see if I can make that change too, sounds like "the answer" for my situation.
    You're cool :)
  • System2
    crewzer wrote: »
    Wayne,

You might try running your MX in Auto Restart Mode 1 instead of Mode 2 (default). Mode 1 limit will periodic auto restarts to the bulk mode only, and it might therefore help with the cold weather overshoots.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
    ==============================
    Hey Jim, tried to do that, but couldn't find anywhere in the menus where to make the change. Mine is Rev 5.11 I got it a little over 2 months ago.
    Am I doing something wrong, am I just stupid, or do some of the MX-60 units not have that option?
    Thanks a lot man, I'd really like to make that change.
    Wayne
  • crewzer

Amilkar,

There's no firm formula for dertermining the best combination of wakeup Voc "step" and/or time. For example, if you use 4.5 V and 10 minutes, the MX60 will attempt to wakeup after 10 minutes even if the Voc hasn't increased by 4.5 V. However, higher step increases do seem to reduce relay clicking on high voltage arrays.

So, try 3.0 V or 4.5 V and 10 minutes and see what happens. A "wrong" setting won't harm your system. ;)

Another parameter (that I forgot about :blush:) is the "Low Cutoff" setting in the ADVANCED menu. The default is 0.6 A, and the MX60 will snooze if the output current falls below this value. It will also return to snooze if the controller output fails to reach the set value during the wakeup routine. So, you might want to consider a lower value of, say, 0.4 A.

Wayne,

See page 52 in the latest manual (Rev C). :cool:

Always glad to help, gents!
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2

ONE MORE TIME: THANKS!

The mx60 is such a wonderfull machine that I, not being an expert in such areas, need all the help I can get.
  • System2
    crewzer wrote: »

Wayne,

See page 52 in the latest manual (Rev C). :cool:

Always glad to help, gents!
    Jim / crewzer
    ======================================
    Thank you once again Jim!!! It was so easy - - - if I had only read the manual!!!!!! To be truthful, for some STUPID reason, I didn't think that this "advanced" stuff would even be in the manual, so didn't even look :blush:
    Oh well. like they say, live and learn. My lesson for the day :roll:
    Thanks again
    Wayne
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Amilkar wrote: »
    ONE MORE TIME: THANKS!

The mx60 is such a wonderfull machine that I, not being an expert in such areas, need all the help I can get.

DITTO....THANX
    .........................AND NOW i'M SUPPOSE TO READ..LOL
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

do ya have to yell so loudly as i'm now deaf in my eyes.:confused::D
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭

Sorrrryyyyy.......I got in locked in for the BIG DITTO and could'nt get it unlocked. LOL....Now you understand just a bit more why I'm such a dunderhead. Even our adopted burro's, Carne & Asada believe I'm thick headed.:):):)
  • crewzer

Enjoy, Gents. Just remember: It was boB that dreamed up this baby; I'm just an applications guy.

:cool:

Jim / crewzer
  • System2

You know, the more I learn about, and use the MX-60, the more I realize what an awesome controller it is. Light years ahead of what I had before. I'm very happy with it, and to say it's well worth the money would be an understatement.
    I now realize it's a huge mistake to put an expensive battery bank into the care of anything less. I'm not saying it's the best out there, because I don't know that, but it's right up there among the very best in the world. It will take very good care of your batteries. What more could anyone ask.
    Wayne