lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery-box questions
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    Warning Low Voltage !
    But Watch Out for the Amps ?
    They Can Melt Metal !!!

;)
    right. :) i was thinking small letters in parentheses, high amperage. i shouldnt kjoke i have to do this too still.
  • VolcanoSolar
    VolcanoSolar Solar Expert Posts: 56
    Options

As a follow-up to the original post here's what I ended up with:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tpirsig/Solar/photo#5168791376159671138

The fiberglass-panel siding isn't in place yet, but it's pretty much done, and currently in use. Big disconnect on the left is a 200-amp Square D unit rated for DC, and through the wall directly behind it is the inverter. (Disconnect on the right is for the solar panels.)

The box is wood but where the framing touches concrete there are 1/2" strips of plastic decking (Trex, etc.) attached, to minimize water rot. The top hinges up for easy access. All hardware is stainless, and most connections are made with copper flatbar, with a big buss bar tying the three 8-battery banks together.

The ditch in front will disappear once the plumbing rough-in inspection is done...

- Ted
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Well in line with the name of the post i have some quick questions too. =) i kinda glazed over the second page where it started to sway into other subjects so hopefully my question wasnt answered there =P

I know to optimize the efficiency of the batteries temperature has an influence.

My question is, is it worth it to have the battery box in a climate controlled area perhaps a structure off the house or below ground? my home has a surplus of underground storage i could possibly use. I know, i know, most of you are like OMG that guy is gonna wind up dead from gas inhalation but i can also arrange for the proper protocols of ventilation in that case.

Last question, has anyone heard anything about the new Lithium Ion batteries made with nano-tube technology that allows them to hold 10X's the charge of the best L-ion batteries? i dont know the exact specs, but was curious if its on anyones watch list and if there was any specific reason (other then capacity) that li-ion batteries arent used in PV use.

Off-Subject anyone know of a wiki for this kind of information, be it, Solar energy, tips, tricks, rules for calculating use, battery information etc? if it doesnt exist i have the ability to host such a place if a community were interested in adopting it. I have some high bandwidth servers im not using that could use a good cause.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

secretskept,
    yes, you can take some measures to stabilize the battery temps, but i would not go overboard. the base temp for batteries is 77 degrees f, but they can take a wide range of temperature fluctuations. maybe some insulation and the use of a controller with a remote battery temperature sensor. if it's really cold then a thermostatically controlled small resistive load to up the temperature can be used, but only as a last resort after all other options and efforts were tried. the in ground thing in a shaded area with insulation could help to keep out the summer heat somewhat. keep in mind that you should give the batteries some room as the insulation should not be against the battery sides or top and a bit of extra room at the top is a good idea for them to breath somewhat. urethane foam panels would do well if stripped of the foil on the battery side of the panels to eliminate short circuit possibilities.
    haven't heard of the new li ion technology.
    wind-sun used to have a wiki and i lost the address to it. i don't think it was used much, but you may gain some info on this page:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/
  • t12zh
    t12zh Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you build your battery box make sure your batterys stay dry on the top.
    Your vents should be installed in a way not to let moisture build up on the top of batterys along with a lot of dust.
    I feel that dirty damp batterys will transfer current from the + to the -, and that is not good.
    Greg
    Just my 2 cents
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i think they call that a part of maintenance.