outdoor/deck AC light recommendations?

lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Looking to run some solar powered, (yet AC to simplify wiring) candelabra or smaller light strings for outdoors. any tips? i intend to get LED bulbs later on. i just spent 1/2hr looking around, im specifically trying to find weather proof/resistant light strings, OR a few individual lights i can string together if i can get them affordably (something that looks nice hung, globes, etc). i want to string some lighting in the trees near our deck, something ive seen done that looked beautiful.

i might just go with outdoor christmas light strings (LED) as long as its one of those sets that allow for individual light replacement, again flooking for AC.

if anyone has any tips greatly appreciated.ill keep looking and if i find anything ill post it here.

also considering one of those solar yard lighting sets but im sick of adding solar panels all over the place, i have enough capacity to run a few watts with existing solar so it makes sense to do that.

thanks! -Matt

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: outdoor/deck AC light recommendations?

have you considered some of the led christmas lights? i don't know if they come in all white though. i had replaced my old standard christmas light strings with some leds ones and i have to say they are very nice with the other half also approving of their looks.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    niel wrote: »
    have you considered some of the led christmas lights? i don't know if they come in all white though. i had replaced my old standard christmas light strings with some leds ones and i have to say they are very nice with the other half also approving of their looks.
    ============================================
    Yes, they do come in all white - - - - at least here in Canada. One thing to watch for though, is the "color" of white you get. The first whites to come out were a rather blueish white which many saw as being too blue. There is now "warm white" and probably others, which are more pleasing to the eye of most people.
    As to LED Christmas lights with replaceable "bulbs", haven't seen them, don't know it they exist anywhere. I expect the main reason is that the sockets and their intermittent electrical connections would result in a less reliable product. That and the additional cost, as well as matching LED current and voltage specs. Not all LED designs are created equal.
    One other thing, LED Christmas lights in particular, seem prone to failure from voltage surges, such as can happen when large loads are suddenly removed from an inverter, causing a momentary spike while the inverter spools down, so to speak. Of course some inverters have far better regulation than others.
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • lamplight

thank you both! while the lights sound like the best type lighhting im looking for and probably lowest cost i think i want to look around for some hanging outdoor weatherproof globes or something, and just have less lights.. then id have more reliability and ability to changes bulbs. hoping to find one of those deck light strings that takes regular edison or the samller candelabra so i have choices in the lighting... then again cost may force me back to the christmas light idea :) i have plently of time, the forcast is for more snow..
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I would go with LED Christmas lights for cost. My dad has lights under his railing that take 7w med base lamps. I receiently found a LED version that I really like. I swapped out the fridge lights for these, much better.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison.html

They are the Model E27-x8-G about 2/3 of the way down.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • lamplight

you're probably right, i will look around and see what ends up costwise.. thanks they appear to be adding new lights on that site all the time, didnt see those last time. i want to change my microwave over the range lights as thats the one incandescent thats on alot, and also the fridge as you say which i totally never thought about!
  • lamplight

just found these that will work great plus the exact same bulbs available for replacement on superbrightleds

http://www.amazon.com/Bethlehem-Lighting-Outdoor-Faceted-25-Light/dp/B000F52U5I/ref=pd_sim_k?ie=UTF8&qid=1204051262&sr=8-5
    thanks everyone!!