PECO Conditionally approved with one of these changes

Hello, I’m in the process of getting a permit from PECO my local power company. I’ve sent them an engineered drawing of the proposed system. 44 panels of 400 watts each, 17.6kw. Ground based. 2 SMA sunny boy inverters 7.7 each. The utility send me this back. 

Dear Interconnection Contractor,

PER PECO ENGINEERING: Proposed generation creates voltage rise exceeding PA Code maximum allowable limit. The application is conditionally approved pending solution acceptance and will be approved as revised if one of the following possible solutions is implemented:
1) Lowering proposed inverter(s) nameplate capacity to 10.64 kW AC Output.

2) Lowering proposed inverter(s) nameplate capacity to 10.64 kW AC Output AND Upgrading service conductor to .

3) Lowering proposed inverter(s) nameplate capacity to 14.45 kW AC Output AND All inverters within system operate at a constant 95% lagging/absorbing power factor (PF). Inverter also to maintain Q or Reactive power priority setting (as applicable). This option requires completion of 1) an Inverter Addendum which supplements the PECO Interconnection Agreement AND 2) associated Evidence of Completion outlined in the Inverter Addendum.

4) Lowering proposed inverter(s) nameplate capacity to 14.45 kW AC Output AND Upgrading service conductor to AND all inverters within system operate at a constant 95% lagging/absorbing power factor (PF). Inverter also to maintain Q or Reactive power priority setting (as applicable). This option requires completion of 1) an Inverter Addendum which supplements the PECO Interconnection Agreement AND 2) associated Evidence of Completion outlined in the Inverter Addendum.

5) All inverters within system to adopt an overvoltage (OV1) setting of 253 (on a 240V base) and a clearing time of 60s or 3,600 cycles. This option requires completion of 1) an Inverter Addendum which supplements the PECO Interconnection Agreement AND 2) associated Evidence of Completion outlined in the Inverter Addendum.

I want the biggest system possible so I’m not really interested in 1 or 2 unless it my last resort. 

It’s mentioned that I need to upgrade my service conductor in 4 but doesn’t tell to what size, I haven’t checked to see what I have now but it’s a 200 amp service and was recently told but a trusted electrician that it’s heavy enough for a 320 amp. It’s also underground and have no intention of changing it out. 

I think what they are asking can be done by making changes in the inverter settings but haven’t been able to confirm that. Looking for pros and cons and what I should do. 

Thank you. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Paguy123
    Paguy123 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Need suggestions 
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Call SMA and see if they can dial in the required specs for those inverters on the software side for #5.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring