Interstate battery charge specs?

Does anyone know offhand the charge specs for Interstate UL16HC batteries?

I couldn't find anything on their website; when I emailed them directly I got a response with no attachment, then a second response with the information all garbled together via email condensation & misformatting.

So. Equalize voltage & duration? Float voltage?

Thanks,

Ted

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Interstate battery charge specs?

Eq charge should be at least 15.1 for 4-6 hrs depending on state of charge float charge should be 13.4-13.6 check trojan battery site for more info
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

I like Interstate's hybrid Marine/RV batteries, but, IMHO, their on-line maintenance instructions are useless. There used to be a page with voltage and time instructions, but that appears to be modified or gone.

Here's a link to Trojan's on-line battery maintenance guide: http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance.aspx

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • VolcanoSolar
    VolcanoSolar Solar Expert Posts: 56

I figured Trojan's spec's would probably do in a pinch but just wanted to confirm that Interstate does not, indeed, put the information out there.

Thanks,

- Ted
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I also emailed Interstate Batteries regarding charging specs and received the following information. Note, the actual charging specs are included as a PDF in the attached zip file:
    Rob,
    The attached document and the information below will answer your question.

To follow are our recommendations for maximizing the life of deep-cycle batteries.

( 1 ) The batteries will last longer (more charge and discharge cycles) if you recharge them at the end of each day that you use them. The batteries should not be discharged below 20% of the total capacity (or 1.8 volts per cell) during normal operation (that is, there should be at least 20% of the total capacity LEFT in the battery),

( 2 ) water used must be distilled water

( 3 ) batteries should be watered after charge (unless plates are above water level prior to charge). Water level shall be kept 1/4" below the bottom of the fill tubes that go down into the each battery,

( 4 ) battery charger should be designed specifically for the battery application,

( 5 ) the charging practice should enable batteries to cool before usage.

Cordially,
    Dan Lane
    Customer Service
    Interstate Battery System of America, Inc.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

rilarsen,
    thank you for your input with that and i agree, but with a few comments and questions that come to mind with what they have said.

concerning:
    1> we understand that a battery should not be delpleted 100%, but i'm surprised that they list 20% soc (80% dod) as totally acceptable without addressing the cycle life for the battery in going that far. i stand by the 50% figure for most standard batteries and even my concorde agm i won't go to 80% dod unless it is an emergency.

2> that's a new one to me. so you shouldn't use them until room temp or what? so what if the batteries are outside say during winter or even a hot summer's day? this does present other questions that will arise like for example when somebody is using a small amount of the charge power available for a load while the batteries are getting properly charged. by that statement should we also allow the batteries to cool before charging them? imho "cooling them" shouldn't have any bearing on anything as long as using a temperature compensated charge source. doing it their way the batteries may start out cool, but during charging they will heat up anyway thus changing the proper charge voltage point. that is why you should use the bts as even charging will change a battery's temperature in addition to what the ambient air temperature is. their instruction of letting them cool is not a good point or answer to anything.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    rilarsen wrote: »
    ( 4 ) battery charger should be designed specifically for the battery application,

( 5 ) the charging practice should enable batteries to cool before usage.

Cordially,
    Dan Lane
    Customer Service
    Interstate Battery System of America, Inc.

I wonder if they could be a little more vague about that.

It appears that they are describing a starting battery more so than a deep cycle.