Wind Turbine MPPT

WebPower
WebPower Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭
Hi folks,
As you know I've been toying around with trying to get more power out of my wind turbine in my northern Virginia low wind area. The circuit hooking it up to the IQ7 de-rates the turbine so I've been looking for alternative methods of getting the power from the turbine.

I mentioned in other posts that I found an MPPT that someone in France designed. He had boards made so I bought a couple from him. I'm in the process of completing the populating of the boards and just loaded the program onto the microprocessor chip.

I'm curious as to if someone out there that has experience with MPPT designs can look at how his design compares. Are there any glaring problems with his theory? I've attached his write-up and if someone knowledgeable could look at it that would be great. I also attached the schematic.

I'll use this thread to provide info as I get the board up and running and as to how it does.
Pat
9000+W grid tied IQ7 22 panel rooftop and 6 panel ground combination with 1 additional IQ7 connected to 500W wind turbine+200w solar+2 IQ7s with 300W+600W on the RV grid tied when it's in the driveway.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• WebPower
    What's the fun in that? Where's your sense of adventure?

What I'm actually doing is testing the hypothesis that everything runs on smoke. When you let it out, it stops working. The challenge is just letting a little out and have it still work.

I've proved that already. Blown three processor chips from static I think. Ordered more from China...
    9000+W grid tied IQ7 22 panel rooftop and 6 panel ground combination with 1 additional IQ7 connected to 500W wind turbine+200w solar+2 IQ7s with 300W+600W on the RV grid tied when it's in the driveway.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun ! Wind and water are often a source of electronic stress.  Most of the folks I know want super high reliability or Hi Rel Electronics. Adventure is not wanted in a power system. 
    Fun starts at Happy Hour here. 😉   Good Luck !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    The MidNite Classic will do wind MPPT but after you get an idea of what the power curve vs. turbine voltage should look like.

Missouri Wind and Sun evidently sells one now too and it looks like it might even use A.I. to find that power curve for you.  I have no experience with that unit but would like to see how it works for real.

Also remember that the turbine might put out too high of voltage if left disconnected so something like a Clipper should be used to limit the absolute maximum voltage.  Same goes for micro-hydro.

boB
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    Just looked at the documents you linked.  First of all, his MPPT algorithms PO and INC are for solar PV and not wind.  Also, that circuit is a BOOST converter, not a buck converter.  This can keep the turbine from giving you maximum power when the wind speeds up.  Also, a boost converter means that you will need a turbine that is made for a lower voltage battery than the battery you are charging.  If the max power point of a higher wind speed goes above your battery regulation set point voltage,  it will have to turn off or clip the turbine or something.

Need to look at that first article closer.  The document looks very nice.  But I don't think it is what you want ?  I don't know enough about his algorithm.

boB
  • WebPower
    HI.
    I missed your replies in August. This is why I post, being the rank amateur that I am. I didn't realize there is a difference in MPPT algorithms for wind and solar. Makes sense though.

I've populated the boards, programmed the chip and have one that runs. However its got at least one issue. The voltages displayed are off by at least 3 volts at a 30v input. And his correction factor isn't working. So I'm looking at his code and trying to figure it out. Since I have burning the chip figured out and can change the code, I'll also look into what you are saying about the algorithm.

Regarding the buck/boost, the goal is to feed into an IQ7. Which in itself brings along a litany of operational issues. So the interaction between the two circuits might also not provide for optimal power generation. But as I've said through all of this, it's an experiment. One that I haven't seen anyone document, at least with Enphase microinverters.

So stay tuned. You've given me more to look at... :-(