FLA vs AGM

Options
706jim
706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
I've had one of my L16's fail and am looking for replacements of the entire battery. Local supplier has suggested four Enerwatt AGM's with 468 Ah capacity in place of my 8 L16's with 740 Ah rating. 
While I'm sure this has been discusssed domewhere on this forum, what advantages would the AGM's provide as compared to the traditional FLA's?
Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The no brainer answer is alot less maintenance. 

I tend to use the same gear over and over and for lead acid I only use Surrette and top models of AGM or Flooded. The AGM's get 5 to 10 years and the flooded go 7 to 15+ years with good maintenance. Both need someone with a watchful eye.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Riley
    Riley Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Options
    IMHO - the advantage of FLA is that you can measure the Specific Gravity of the battery to understand the SOC and adjust the charging parameters accordingly. 
    To me that's a huge advantage and justifies the additional maintenance of adding water ect...   
    Off-grid: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do anticipated cycles compare. Also maximum recommended DOD is 50% . How does agm compare with this?
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Riley
    Riley Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Options
    I would go to the Rolls Surette website and download the manual. They have good data on cycles and DOD. I think they are similar. Too me, running AGS
    You are running blind. But depends if you are ok with checking water levels.  

As long as you aren't charging super hard, they need water like once a month. 
    Off-grid: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset