Not liking this new look at all. What happened?

Options
littleharbor2
littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think the title says it all. Wow!

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    Options
    I regularly would go to the NAZ store. I don't see a link.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A few other things also but let us sleep on it.  Good work Bill !  At least it is working compare to the Gov 😉
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• littleharbor2
    Options
    Signature line seems to overpower other text.

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect that there will be tuning of the new software installation.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Vanilla obsoleted their foundation software that the previous web themes were built on. And then the last "current foundation refresh" broke the themes (mostly the mobile theme).

Rick, NAZ's software/web engineer volunteered to port over to the new foundation/themes in his spare time.

Unfortunately, we lost the work (and upfront costs) from the initial port formatting to vanilla, all those years ago--And got the "default" themes we see now.

At this point, if I involve Vanilla's support group, the forum (NAZ) could get hit with some hefty software engineering fees (maybe one year+ worth of yearly hosting fees???) to address the formatting questions... And at this point, I don't want to incur those costs. You would be surprised how much work went into getting the last theme design.

I have one (relatively minor) missing format/function issue--But I am not sure if it is worth the effort to address right now.

NAZ is looking at their overall marketing/online footprint--And is evaluating where to proceed next. That may, or may not, involve the forum look and feel in the future.

Regarding the NAZ link--The NAZ badge in the upper right of the top bar, is an active link to their store.

If any of you find any missing/broken theme/style issues, please let me know and I will see what can be done.

Sincerely,
    -Bill "moderator" B.

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Bill. Interesting to see the perception of the cost/benefit ratio.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • littleharbor2
    edited February 9 #8
    Options
    Regarding the NAZ link--The NAZ badge in the upper right of the top bar, is an active link to their store.

Sincerely,
    -Bill "moderator" B.

Bill, I clicked on the NAZ icon in the upper LEFT corner of the screen and get taken to the forum home page. I don't see any NAZ in the upper right corner. Is that maybe for the Android version?

As always, Thanks for all your selfless help and time you devote to keep this forum the quality product it is.

• BB.
    Options
    You are correct... The upper left icon just points at the forum. I will let Rick know.

Take care,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    So, I guess this look is here to stay. Not sure who thinks this is any kind of improvement to the forum. I don't. The pages are so sterile and monotone looking. 

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Maybe we should all chip in and pay for it?  😉

• littleharbor2
    Options
    You've got a point Dave. Now that I got that off my chest I'm done with my rant. Nuff' said.

• BB.
    edited February 21 #13
    Options
    Unfortunately, the forum base software upgraded and killed the interface to the original port. Mostly this "killed" the mobile interface. One of the NAZ (electrical) engineers was able to port over to the new interface, but that also took the desktop 

At this time, NAZ, nor I, have the knowledge to update/change the software look and feel. And there is currently no budget to pay for a rewrite.

It was surprising how many hours it took, but even for the "original" look and feel, there was a lot of time involved to get to what we had.

Sorry...
    -Bill
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    BB. said:
    Unfortunately, the forum base software upgraded and killed the interface to the original port. Mostly this "killed" the mobile interface. One of the NAZ (electrical) engineers was able to port over to the new interface, but that also took the desktop 

At this time, NAZ, not I, have the knowledge to update/change the software look and feel. And there is currently no budget to pay for a rewrite.

It was surprising how many hours it took, but even for the "original" look and feel, there was a lot of time involved to get to what we had.

Sorry...
    -Bill
    Thanks for the explanation, Bill. Life goes on.

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Business is Business!  Yes Big Thank-you Bill and NAZ !