Schneider insight firmware

Options
I see schneider has released firmware 1.18 for the Insight Gateway. One of the improvements listed is closed loop battery configuration pass through to MPPT. 

I'd like to implement this to go closed loop with my batteries. My fully off-grid system consists of two xw6848+, four 60/150 mppt, AGS, BatteryMonitor and  SCP. Currently running open-loop with the 50kWh Battery pack. The Insight Firmware 1.17 release notes did not recommend upgrading the Insight if used with the XW6848+ but the reason for not upgrading was not given. I did not upgrade to 1.17. 

Does anyone know the reason for the recommendation to not upgrade to 1.17? And does it still apply to 1.18?

Thanks in advance, 

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 #2
    Options
    I think, #1 it is because XW+ and the older greybox are not memory capable of doing what XWP can do. #2  XW+ is out of support and does not get firmware updated anymore. You should reach out to Schneider tomorrow and ask them. They may not know for a month or so as this all came out last week and is being tested in the field now. Beta sites have had good results.

Make sure your XW+ had the latest firmware from 4 years ago. I would say you are OK if you are Offgrid.  Be more cautious than you are if you have the grid. Save your old firmware to revert back if you try this.

XW+ is a voltage based charger in the box.  XWP is voltage and Soc based and has the memory to be future ready for a long time.

Adding the wattnode below allows XWP and battery to be added to an existing grid tie power system and get it's data out to Insight. This will allow full monitor/adjust of the system from anywhere on most anything.

Below Schneider is using AC1 for several reasons including their 200 A Back-up control switch with wattnode to have back-up on most any main panel without a subpanel. No need to rewire a panel. Saves alot of labor. The BCS has breaker positions for 100 A  up to 200 A to match your existing panel. 

The screen below shows 4 XWP but in reality it can be just a single XWP and a 200A panel. It will limit export to the grid for alot of the new requirements and allow easy self consumption for folks wanting to add a battery bank.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Jdfearl
    Jdfearl Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    I keep getting "firmware extraction failed"  Guess I will stay at the old firmware
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I just looked again now. You and anyone with XW +  should not be upgrading.  Too many variables and you can search the forum here for what I have written about XW+..

There is no reason to be messing around with this. You could ruin (brick) your XW+  I always ask, why are you doing the upgrade on an old device?

They are giving you (XW+) V1. 14 to go back to below.   New firmware is for XW Pro BTW,  Some good changes.  Be careful out there !

I always tell my offgrid clients not to do firmware in Winter!     Baby it is cold out there😉😉😎😎

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    To make this more clear!  Danger Will Robinson !   

V1.14 for Insight is the highest upgrade allowed to XW+ systems.

Using anything higher may result in anomalous behavior.