Kohler 48 RCLB - Purchased in 2020

Options
toddp1
toddp1 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
Just a heads up for folks that may have a Kohler gen set produced in 2020.  Our unit (off grid) burned copious amounts of oil since day 1.  Limped through a couple of seasons and just had a mechanic pull one of the heads after a compression test showed two cylinders were quite a bit lower than the other 6.  Turns out Kohler neglected to install valve seals in half the engine (8 of them).   Not under warranty since it isn't grid tied and Kohler has been less than helpful.  Just fyi if anyone else is having similar issues.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    edited December 2023 #2
    Options
    Here are the 50 states statute of limitations:

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/statute-of-limitations-for-all-50-states.pdf

My father, 5+ decades ago, had a friend with an Opel car (maybe Audi???) where all of the valve stem seals were just laying in the top of the cylinder head. Years of high oil usage--Nothing done by the dealer to fix--Until after the warranty ran out--Factory said tough luck.

You might have luck with threatening a lawsuit over the "suitability" for use, excessive state of federal emissions/pollution, local service person provided inadequacy diagnosis/service/repairs during warranty...). Especially if you have contacted the seller/warranty agent about the excessive oil consumption--Company/company's agent was notified early on of the deficiency of operation.. There is nothing affecting a factory mistake being on or off grid.

I have heard that it is pretty cheap & easy to file a federal lawsuit to get the attention of the mfg/supplier.

Best of luck,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • toddp1
    toddp1 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you Bill.  Not sure I want anything to do with Kohler - ever again....
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who was the dealer or did you buy from the internet?   I know a few dealers from my clients. Pretty solid group of business people!

Happy winter solstice !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net