What to use for grounding ?

Options
KhellSk
KhellSk Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭
Hi!

Can I just drive a rebar 3ft into the ground and ground my system all on there ?

Tagged:

Comments

• SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited December 2023 #2
    Options
    KhellSk said:
    Hi!

Can I just drive a rebar 3ft into the ground and ground my system all on there ?
    The only reason for driving two 8 foot ground rods is not just to pass an electrical inspection. LOL Sorry its an old joke.
    The intent of having two 8 foot ground rods installed at least 6 feet apart is safety for you and for your electrical equipment.
    Just drive the two ground rods, attach a continueous #6 solid ground wire to them and run it to you breaker panel ground and be safe.
  • KhellSk
    Options
    @SumPower Ok  I put 2x 8foot 6 appart I dont care. But coud I get an explanation on why grounding rod specificly. Why wont rebar do ? why wouldnt winter car shelter piping do the trick ? why do I have to spend a 100 to get the label that says grounding ?

• SumPower
    edited December 2023 #4
    Options
    Rebar has been shown to have a lower conductivity than the materials that ground rods are made of.
    The ridges in rebar would push the soil away from it, so it would not have good consistant contact with the soil you drive it into.
    Rebar rusts, rust is a poor conductor of electricity.
    Galvanized/Zinc coated ground rods resist corrosion.
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    And to add what SumPower said above. Standardization alone is reason enough to require proper grounding rods. Imagine a world where safety requirements were arbitrary. "I'll just use gauze for seatbelt material." or "I'll just stack a bunch or firring strips together to make a floor joist." or "I'll just lite my smoke at the pump, it's been a hard day." or etc. Just imagine.

I squawk about rules like the next guy. I do not like being told what to do. I do not like parting with money. I am also thankful for safety regulations that I've had a chance to test and those that I have not yet.

Having said that I am acutely aware of overreach like requiring masks where they are shown to be ineffective and mandating vaccinations where they are also shown to be not required in a certain demographic. I think two grounding rods is an example of this but follow it for the sake of being able to show it is done.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Death by electrocution can make it easier.  Thinning the Herd😉

The illustration that often works for the rebar argument is a poured concrete foundation where the rebar was allowed to contact the earth.
    In some soils the rebar can totally rust out in a very short time, leaving a non reinforced foundation.

Running 2 ground rods also allows an easy way to measure the resistance. It also is the basis for building a lighting ground for electronics and faraday cages to protect electronics.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• KhellSk
    Options
    SumPower ok i went to the store and rods are not longer a standard here apparently. They re plates. 10x16 ish plates. Are plates enough for DC ?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/microelectric-galvanized-steel-ground-plate/1001201529

• KhellSk
    Options
    SumPower said:

The intent of having two 8 foot ground rods installed at least 6 feet apart is safety for you and for your electrical equipment.
    Just drive the two ground rods, attach a continueous #6 solid ground wire to them and run it to you breaker panel ground and be safe.

I just found 6ft. Ive read somewhere that I should ground the negative pole of my battery as well, with panels frames. is that true ?

• SumPower
    Options
    Surprised they didn't have ground rods!  Plate electrodes are fine as long as they have the UL or C/UL marking.  or CSA marking.

in other words they are approved and tested for the purpose.

USA National Electric Code gives a minimum 30 inch burial depth on plate electrodes NEC 2020 Article 250.53 (5), entitled Plate Electrodes. I see you may be from Canada. The rules for grounding and bonding between the US and Canada are similiar.