Yavapai County Building Code on Battery installation location

Options
iamgroot
iamgroot Registered Users Posts: 1
I heard that Yavapai County has recently changed the rules on where you can install battery systems. I'm searching through building codes and have yet to find this documented. 

What I heard was unclear to me, "energy storage (batteries) must be installed in a separate room with outside access"  

not sure what "separate room" means, separate from what?

Has anyone else heard this? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is generally best to ask the Building Department (Authority Having Jurisdiction (AKA,  AHJ)),  what codes must be met for your intended installation.

NEC 480, and 690, have some provisions.   Good Luck,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 #3
    Options

iamgroot said:
    I heard that Yavapai County has recently changed the rules on where you can install battery systems. I'm searching through building codes and have yet to find this documented. 

What I heard was unclear to me, "energy storage (batteries) must be installed in a separate room with outside access"  

not sure what "separate room" means, separate from what?

Has anyone else heard this? 

As Vic already said, you need to ask them. It sounds like they mean a "dedicated and unoccupied" room and not the garage.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.