Conext SW4048 is not turning on

Options
Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hi all, 
haven’t been on in a while. I am having some challenges with a Schneider sw4048. I shut it down to do some maintenance and now it refuses to fully power up. It would turn on the enable led and then throw a fault. Clearing fault doesn’t work and simply lights again. I tried resetting using the clear fault button that doesn’t work either. The SCP doesn’t power up so I ant see the fault. I am well stuck. 

Any suggestions. Thanks. 

Damani

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go back and check everything you came in contact with while working on it. maybe you'll see something in there. What was it you did for maintenance?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dapdan
    Options
    All I did was turn off the inverter, open the main breaker did some cleaning on one of my 2V cell and then tried to reconnect it and then as reported. I had then spent the next few hours fully disconnec the conext and fully installing my new Midnite Solar Rosie who came to life and is running all loads the context was running previously without issue. So Rosie is operating in the same exact conditions as the conext. Trouble is I can get the SCP working to really see what fault the inverter is reporting and the clear fault button is not clearing the fault as it is always returning.

D
  • Dapdan
    Options
    I am scouring the net and going through the manual looking for some kind of fix. Trouble is the manual trouble shooter is referencing fault codes that SCP normally displays and I can't get the SCP powered up or connected to the inverter.
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    Well, that's strange that you didn't really do anything to thr Conext, yet Rosie fired right up. Maybe Dave Angelini will chime in later. He's the Schnider expert.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• littleharbor2
    Options
    The good news is you have a Midnite Rosie in it's place. I'm a little jealous.

• Dapdan
    Options
    oh always nice to have an expert. 

The Rosie is gorgeous. I signed up for beta testing back in March of this year and got her last month due to shipping consolidation by me. I am more active on the Midnite forum of late and posted my thoughts on the E-panel specifically as there were a few already focusing on Rosie performance. I really wasnt planning on retiring the conext but maybe it got jealous as they are installed side-by-side. My plan was to use the Rosie to perform EV charging duties and let the conext continue powering the house. The conext has work flawlessly since 2015. No shut downs, no repairs, no hitches none...until now. Maybe I should have left well enough alone  :(

D
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    Lucky man. Curious how many Beta testers they sent Rosie to?

If I didn't have a rock solid Midnite/Trace system I would love to have some of the all new Midnite products

• Dapdan
    Options
    Well, some of that luck came with a price. It did have a generous discount and a 10yr warranty.
  • Dapdan
    Options
    @ littleharbor. Where is the expert. 
  • littleharbor2
    edited July 2023 #11
    Options
    Dapdan said:
    @ littleharbor. Where is the expert. 
    @Dave Angelini  You catching this conversation?.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not really, what has the OP done to try and fix his problem.  I am swamped with clients so....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• littleharbor2
    Options
    Not really, what has the OP done to try and fix his problem.  I am swamped with clients so....
    I'm sure He'll chime in soon.

• Dapdan
    Options
    hey guys,

I have attempted a reset on more than one occasion with the fault led still coming on after. I have been thru the manual but it is referencing fault codes on the SCP which I am unable to access as it too is not coming on. So its like a vicious circle. The invert was working fine since 2015 and I was only shutting it down to do some battery maintenance and it refuse to invert since. I have since connected a Rosie in its place under the same conditions and that is working fine.

D
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If DC has been disconnected for more than 5 minutes then most likely, at the least, the network / fan control / 15v circuitry is down.

If you did not have surge protection on the DC busses, then it could be latent damage that has surfaced. It could also be bad luck.

The CSW is really not designed to be serviced as XW is.  XW has separate PCB's for 5 different sections. CSW is pretty much all in one PCB.
    XW has a 10 year warranty and many still running after 17 years. 

I would call Schneider and ask for current advice on what you can do.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dapdan
    Options
    Dave,

Wow. All I did was shut down inverter. Disconnected a cell to clean some terminal and cables and then went to reconnect and the inverter refuses to come on due some mysterious previous damage. 

Why would surge protection be required in normal disconnection/reconnection. Is the same thing occurring when closing and opening the main breaker.

When you say "servicing" in comparing the CSW and the XW are you meaning repair at factory or what I was trying to do.

Do you have a number for the correct section of schneider. They are in so many industries I fear I may be knocking about until I get the correct contact.

Thanks for your assistance.

D