Genasun mppt working in parallel ?

Options
Hello. I have two Genasun mppts and I would like them to work in parallel feeding a single lion battery with bms, do you think it is possible to connect two mppts units in parallel to a single battery? thank you so much

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem. Are they identical controllers, settings and panel count arrays? Aren't those the controllers that are designed to charge two battery banks? When you say, in parallel do you mean both simply connected to the same battery?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• MATIASDURAN
    MATIASDURAN Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes both Idendical genasun mppts and connected to the only one battery 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as the settings are the same, (are there settings?) and you have similar arrays , No problem.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    edited June 2023 #5
    Options
    And to be clear, each MPPT controller needs its own dedicated solar array... You cannot (or at least should not for optimum performance) connect multiple MPPT controllers to a single solar array.

An MPPT controller assumes that it is in 100% control of the attached solar array to figure out the Vmp (voltage maximum power) of the array by adjusting the current it draws (solving the Pmp=Vmp*Imp equation).

In general, just attach each Vbatt controller output directly to the battery bus (with appropriate fuses/circuit breakers to protect the wiring against short circuits. I would avoid "daisy chainging" the controllers to the battery bus, i.e., Batt bus to Controller A then to Controller B.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • MATIASDURAN
    MATIASDURAN Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Muchas gracias por vuestra ayuda