Wiring for an actuator with limit switches

Options
HOMEBOY
HOMEBOY Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi can anyone help me I have an Axe Tracka and am using an actuator with limit switches to control the travel. When it moves all the way in or out and the limit switch stops the travel I can not get it to move in the opposit direction as there is no current on the side where the limit switch has closed the circuit. 
How do I overcome this?

Comments

• Gregaba
    Gregaba Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Options
    It should have a hall effect sensor and it will need to be replaced. It is about a 20 minute job.
    Greg
  • HOMEBOY
    HOMEBOY Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Greg is the sensor in the axe tracker?
  • Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you homebrewing a reversing control circuit to add to an existing actuator? 

It sounds like you will need to look into using some double pole reversing relays.  Google "reversing relay limit switch" and "ladder logic".   I had the same design challenge in adding limit switches for a solar/battery fed DC motor powered tramway that reverses using an H-Bridge of four automotive starter relays controlled by a DPDT switch. 

H Bridges are a very common reversing control circuit for Warn Winches used on 4x4 vehicles.  Adding limit switches means that you have to use the simple latching/unlatching concept that "ladder logic" adds by using relays to get the circuit around the open or closed limit switches.

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

• NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    When using limit switches that are in the direct path of the motor current (both switches in series), it is common to use a diode across the switch contacts.  When the switch opens, the diode will only allow current to flow in the opposite direction to move off the switch.