Portable battery + Bauer Solar Panels?

Options
Sock
Sock Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

I need a piece of advice

I sent Bauer solar panels to my friend in Ukraine as they do have EcoFlow DELTA Max Portable Power Station and I got to it 3x BAUER BS-400-M10HBB solar panels. I been told by sales person that in regards to power output the 3x Bauer panels should be just fine with the battery even EcoFlow confirmed that to me.

Also they told me that this solution will work off grid.

But the question now is. Do I need some special connectors or something else in order to be able to use them? Or everything will be included within the packaging?

As today I seen on their website these 2 connectors and I am not sure if I need any of them

solar parallel connection cable
solar charging cable

Also they tried to contact few electricians in Ukraine and everyone is refusing to connect it as they "cannot ensure safety of the battery".
Can you please advice to me if I bought something they cant use or what's going on?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    edited January 2023 #2
    Options
    Just a quick look at the specs for the inverter-charger unit:
    Solar Charge Input
    11-100V 13A Max, 800W max

And for the panels:

https://www.solsol.cz/sites/default/files/produktove-listy/bs.395-405.m10hbb_en_solsol_vz_30mm_2.pdf

So, a quick reading the the ECOFlow would be 100 volts max input--Limits to one or two panels in series. 3 panels in series would be too high voltage for the ECO Flow and would probably damage its electronics

And in you case, you have 3x panels--So you would need to connect all 3 panels in parallel.

The first link the the Paralleling cables--They are only wired up for 2x parallel panels. So you options are to simply get another set and make it so you can parallel 3 panels (which does exceed the 800 Watt solar input rating--But a good quality MPPT controller should be able to manage the solar input power and only draw its maximum rating of 800 Watts. "Overpanelling" is frequently done (panels are cheap, hardware and batteries are not)--And helpful in climates with "poor sun" (cloudy, winter, etc.)...

If ECOFlow told you that it was OK to connect 1,200 Watts of solar panel to this system... Then you should be OK.

When connecting (typically) 3 or more panels in series, each parallel connection needs to have a series protection fuse (or circuit breaker). In the above solar panel spec, that is a 30 amp fuse. This is to protect one shorted panel from being fed "too much current" from the other 2+ panels. In this case, you do not need the series fuse as the Isc (short circuit current rating of 2x panels is less than the 30 amp fuse rating).

It is "nice" to use plug and play connectors (i.e., getting 2x kits of paralleling cables for your three panels)... You can damage panels/hardware if the polarity of the panels is wrong. And you (or the installer) should verify the +/- wiring of the panels (and the solar cable(s) for the ECOFlow... It has happened that (for example) solar panels are wired "backwards" to the plugs... (The industry standard for +/- male/female solar connections was not very well documented).

You can use the cables, get "raw cables" and crimp tools, or even buy male/female cable sets like these:

https://www.solar-electric.com/mc4-extender-cable-1000-volts-8-feet.html

Just cut the cables in 1/2... And then wire up the cut ends as needed (in the USA we would use wire nuts, crimp rings, or bus bars in a J-Box)... Your choice.

You may run into other limits here...The ECOFlow is rated for 13 amps max input on this (are there other) solar connection... Your panels are rated for 12.7 amps Imp @ 31.0 Volts Vmp.

This would seem to limit the ECOFlow to:

• 13 amps * 31 volts Vmp-std = 403 Watts max input power (1x panel)
    If you wanted 800 Watts, it appears that you would need to put 2 of your panels in series:
    • 13 amps * 2 series * 31 volts Vmp-std = 806 Watts max input power (2x panels in series)
    You have purchased/supplied 3x of these panels... There is no "good way" of "safely" connecting them to the ECOFlow unit and get maximum rated charging power...
    • 37.6 Volts Voc-std * 3 panels in series = 112.8 Volts Voc-array-std (in cold weather, cold be higher Voc-array)
    Which exceeds your 100 Volt Vinput-solar maximum working voltage...

So, your only two options are to use 2x panels in series for 2 panels total... Or 2 series * 2 parallel for 4 panels total... I do not see a "workable" way of getting 3 panels to give you more than ~403 Watts (3 panels in parallel) from your 3*400=1,200 Watts of panels...

2s * 2p would seem to work (check with ECOFLow?). if you still want to "over panel" the system.

There MAY be other possibilities... There is a 12/24 volt DC @ 8 amp "car charger port"... You may be able to connect 2s panels to the solar port and 1x panel to the "car charger" port... There is another option called the Smart Generator--No idea what that is, but may offer better solar panel connectivity...

Be careful what a sales person will say... Most are trained not to leave the spec. sheet and give help on "non-standard" installations. They generally are not engineers and may promise you anything--Whether it works or not.

I do not know anything about the ECOFLow system/products (they seem to be reputable). And just a quick look through their marketing literature does not quickly/easily answer your questions.

I would get a clear answer from them on how to properly connect your 1/2/3/4 or whatever 400 Watt panels to their system and make sure that it matches with their solar input specifications.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Sock
    Sock Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Bill this was amazing answer! thank you! after your answer we will go with 2 in series. that's our safest and simplest bet in my opinion!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    edited January 2023 #4
    Options
    You are very welcome... For two panels in series, the solar charging cable should be the only item needed for "plug and play". As always, verify wiring and panel polarities with a volt meter before making connections.

Nothing "magic" about the cable (other than the DC connector to the ECOFlow solar input).... You could cut off the solar connectors from the panels and splice as needed. You just lose the warranty for the panels (doubt you would bother with warranty with all the shipping and "unpleasantries" going on in the region right now,.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset