Xantrex grid tie inverter issue and possible replacement

Options
Hi,

My residential is equipped with an Xantrex GT 3.3N grid tie inverter. There is a sign for the PV array DC Disconnect Switch stating:
- Operating current: 8A, Operating voltage: 413V
- Max system voltage: 520V, short-circuit current: 9A

However, since a month ago it displayed "AC Voltage Fault". After some investigation, I found that the AC fuse was broken. After replacing it, it now displays "Insufficient Solar Energy". At around noon during a sunny day, the readings from the display:
- Array Readings: 458V, 0.7A
- Grid Readings: 238V, 60Hz

Questions: 
  1. I suppose the reading from the AC grid looks right?
  2. The DC array reading voltage seems right but current seems low. How do I know if there is any issue with the solar panels?
  3. Assume the solar panels are fine. I am aware that Xantrex GT inverter is discontinued. Can I simply do a direct swap with the "SMA Sunny Boy SB3.8" inverter? Any other inverter recommendations?
Thank you.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,446 admin
    Options
    I had a Xantrex G3.3 inverter fail. In my case, something popped the 20 amp @ 240 VAC circuit breaker. And when I reset it, the inverter showed something like insufficient solar energy or similar (was 5+ years ago). They did not even bother to try and fix.

Xantrex just replaced the whole unit under warranty. In California, depending on when you purchased, there was a 10 year warranty (Xantrex had a 5 year standard warranty).

At this point, swapping for a similarly rated SMA inverter would be a good choice. Getting service/parts after 5 years for any electronics is difficult. After 10 years, almost impossible.

0Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset