Inverter replacement advice

Options
denlow1
denlow1 Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
We have been off grid NW AZ since 2011. We currently have a 3.2 kw solar array, two Outback charge controllers (FM60 and FM80), a 24-volt battery bank (2 parallel strings of 4 each Trojan Solar SPRE 06-415) connected to a Trace inverter Model 2524 AE with auto generator start (Kohler 12kw propane generator). We will soon be getting grid tie service from the local electric co-op.
What inverter (hybrid) would you suggest we purchase to replace our 20 year old Trace unit? We are not interested in selling power back to the utility, just want the grid to take over high demands such as air conditioning, etc. . We also would like the solar/battery system to act as a backup during grid outages. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 #2
    Options
    An Outback Inverter will be able to network with your 2 charge controllers. A networked system will let you see graphically what is happening. Not just numbers but a picture of the system over 24 hours and longer.  Much easier for  the rest of the people at your home.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• denlow1
    denlow1 Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Dave. I would also have to purchase and install the "Mate" controller, correct? What model 24 v inverter would allow me to use the PV / battery system as a backup when grid power fails? Also would the Outback inverter handle the generator auto start?
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 #4
    Options
    Others here can help. I try and help with general advice.  I am in business for the specifics from my 30 years of experience in power systems.  
    You can ask the store here also!  Great folks and support their business that pays for this forum!
    Cheers !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net