Schneider xw pro 6848 vs Outback Radian 8048

RealPinochet
RealPinochet Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I started another post on this and tried to edit it and it just disappeared. Anyways I'm looking at the Conext 6848 and Radian 8048 and was wanting to get opinions here them and how they compared against each other. I'm hoping to find users of each and perhaps installers / repairmen that field service these. We're moving to a rural so my main focus is on quality, performance and reliability. We're going to have a grid but will not be interested in selling anything back but rather use the grid for times of no solar production and or low batteries as in grid assist.

1. Ability for grid assist "pass through"

2. Helping to negate grid power usage. I'm not sure what this is called. Grid zero or SBU mode? Basically we want to use power we're producing as a priority before using any grid power to have as small as a bill as possible.

3. Inverter needs to still work if grid goes down from solar and batteries.

4. Ability to use raw incoming power from panels for powering loads without having to store in the batter first and then convert. This is more efficient. I think this might be called DC couple.

5. Have a strong and reliable / dependable track record.

6. Have a good record for being field serviceable.  *seems like Radian gets more points for it being modular..as in changing a power module.

7. Having a good network for getting parts quickly.

8. Good vendor support and customer support.  *Seems like Schneider has a rep for not caring about diy users.

9. Good working software / firmware that integrates well within the platform making it easy to use and configure.

10. Handles surges well for things like a 2hp well pump, 3/4 ton AC etc.

I plan on having two inverters stacked and backed up with new lithium batteries like the rack eg4 ones or sok etc.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    XWP is just about unbreakable. The old saying that we had the best service in the industry until they made one that did not need service.
    My opinion only but based on decades of RE and direct experience.

From an engineering point of view,  XWP is a 6.8KW continuous output with 8500 watts for 30 minutes and 12 KW for 60 seconds. Evan more for a shorter time to start ridiculous loads. They are harder to set-up the first time and there is not as much hand holding for people who are inexperienced. Comparing with Outback.

Radian is (2) 4 KW inverters stacked. They have great support and lot's of parts.

You won't go wrong either way. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• RealPinochet
    11. Also works well with
    XWP is just about unbreakable. The old saying that we had the best service in the industry until they made one that did not need service.
    My opinion only but based on decades of RE and direct experience.

From an engineering point of view,  XWP is a 6.8KW continuous output with 8500 watts for 30 minutes and 12 KW for 60 seconds. Evan more for a shorter time to start ridiculous loads. They are harder to set-up the first time and there is not as much hand holding for people who are inexperienced. Comparing with Outback.

Radian is (2) 4 KW inverters stacked. They have great support and lot's of parts.

You won't go wrong either way. Good Luck!

I've been informed on the diy solar forums by people who run the xwp that you can't have more than two inverters without a complex install using a external contactor switch to control the pass through amps when using the grid. In your experience is this the case? I believe the xwp 6848 has 60 amp pass through. I was wanting to have three inverters and it's possible I might exceed 120A if a compressor kicks in while using hvac or dryer etc. The Manuel does say you have to have a external switch for more than two units. Is this expensive and complex cause I can't find out more about this contactor switch? Is there a specific one for the xwp? And, does the radian have these limitations to...I just wanted to setup a robust system that just works with 3 maybe 4 inverters over time. And, thanks Dave for your time..it's very appreciated.
  • RealPinochet
    Also on this quote "Radian is (2) 4 KW inverters stacked." Isn't the 6848 the same thing? I'm assuming you mean there's two inverters inside the same chassis? And why would this matter if one is and one is not? Pros and cons? Again thanks sir.
  • Dave Angelini
    XWP is still (since 2005) the only big "single" toroid based inverter on the market. It is all about surge ability if you need that.. I wish I had more time for you but I am running a business. Have got to go.

• mahendra
    mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is outback are more robust easier.to configure and great customer support both from call center and forum
  • Dave Angelini
    This is a new product from Schneider. It will make really large systems alot easier to install, and remove some of the extra components that are involved with more than 2 XWP's

The Backup Control Switch is used for larger XW Pro systems requiring up to 200 A rated MID or service entrance installation. Flexible Installation • Whole home backup or subpanel backup with up to 200 A rating • Service entrance rated when installed with a main breaker • Top or bottom entry for grid input • Optional non-backup circuit, making it easy to backup an existing panel and remove select non-critical loads • Configurable for export limiting with integrated meter Reliable • Fast 50 ms transfer from grid connected to backup power operation • Reliable backup power and load starting performance with the compatible XW Pro inverters • Connect up to 4 XW Pro inverters for up to 27 kW continuous and 48 kW peak backup power capability • Outdoor rated enclosure • 10 year limited warranty

https://schneider-electric.app.box.com/s/zmg1ywxnxehbp81in7eju1bwtrytnuux