LiFe cell internal resistance

Options
12346»

Comments

• Suntrekker
    Suntrekker Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭
    edited February 2022 #152
    Options
    I set Outback charge parameters about 90%. A snapshot of individual cell voltages at rest; 3.347, 3.347, 3.346, 3.347, 3.345, 3.345, 3.346 and 3.346.

Preparing for launch...check electrical, plumbing, load cargo.  On the road, I’ll start a new thread of my travels and solar performance.

• Suntrekker
    Options
    Solar by night, testing the 24V battery.

• Suntrekker
    Options

Nights are below freezing so I crank the heat in the morning to thaw out the lithium battery (avoid charging below 32 F).  But when traveling, it’ll be room temperatures. 

• Suntrekker
    Options
    Added a lithium battery active balancer to equalize cell voltages for efficiency.

• Suntrekker
    Options

Battery update - I’m conditioning the 24V battery by slowly discharging (.35A for 2 days) and voltage remains at 26.  Also discharged to 24.2V (10% SoC). 

The active balancer works, cells are within 1-2 mV at rest.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    edited March 2022 #157
    Options
    I love it when a plan comes together. (A-Team movie).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Suntrekker
    edited March 2022 #158
    Options

Thnx again Bill for sharing your knowledge and encouragement!

A few hiccups as I learned but the end result is what counts, a happy camper.

I begin a 4-6 month journey this month, test the system in the real world.  …my GS is all excited : )

• Suntrekker
    edited March 2022 #159
    Options
    A new travel thread next w/drone pics.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Have fun!

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Suntrekker
    edited March 2022 #161
    Options
    Thnx!!  Loading the RV….

• Suntrekker
    edited March 2022 #162
    Options
    RV solar update-

System performs beyond expectations on the road. The 24V 280AH LiFePO4 battery has large capacity to power lights, radio, refrigerator, inverter, converter, etc. Only thing I haven’t tested is the new 12 seer AC window unit…shouldn’t be a problem. And the REC 640 watt mono array quickly charges on very cloudy days….

System hardware and wire is somewhat oversized and generates minimal heat. 

…I’m a happy camper : )

• Suntrekker
    edited April 2022 #163
    Options
    Question about the relationship between charge, rest voltage and SoC.
    The chart shows 29.2V charge to achieve 100% SoC, rest at 27.2V.  If 26.6V at rest is 90% SoC, what is the approx. charge voltage?  Any thoughts appreciated!  
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 #164
    Options
    Where did you get these numbers?  In general, SoC doesn't translate well to voltage with LiFePO4, so as a rule you shouldn't really use it.  Also, collective wisdom says don't charge to 3.65V. Although I don't know that there is lots of evidence, everyone seems to believe that repeatedly charging to the spec max voltage of 3.65V is bad. A more practical reason is that the cells will diverge quite a bit at the top (3.65V), and if you charge the entire pack to 29.2V (3.65V per cell) you will be likely to have a cell or two that go up close to 4V. Normally a BMS would stop this, but if I recall correctly you are not using a BMS.

So for my two 8S/24V packs, I charge to 28V (3.5V/cell), and I know others that charge to 3.45V per cell. You can still get to 100% SoC at these lower voltages, by just letting your charger stay in absorb for a bit, until the current drops to 1-2% of the C rating for the battery. If you charge to 3.65V the current will drop down to 2% very quickly (like maybe 5 minutes). At 3.5V I see the current drop down still quickly, but more like 10-15 minutes.

Your table's resting voltage for 100% SoC is pretty much correct. After reaching 100% and the charging stops, the voltage will drift down to about 3.4V per cell.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • Suntrekker
    Options
    Yeah I see different LiFePO4 charts online but understand your explanation, very helpful!  Thnx!
  • Suntrekker
    edited April 2022 #166
    Options
    Solar data log for 48 hours - amp production vs. load.  Dip below zero represents load like refrigerator and coffee maker.  Cycle is consistent.

• Suntrekker
    Options
    Non-BMS 640W/280AH system performance update.

After one month, off grid system functions as designed. The LVD, HVD and active cell balancer are important. While charging, cell voltages differ by 10 mV, charge parameters set at 26.8 float and 27.6 bulk/absorb. The coulomb meter recorded 165AH gain on a sunny day! 90% SoC is max without a BMS.
  • Suntrekker
    Options
    Data log shows AC cycles and healthy battery voltage.

• Suntrekker
    Options

Battery performance update - After 4 months the 24V Life battery (w/out BMS) performs well!  I highly recommend a quality active balancer to level individual cell voltages…VM shows within a few mV.  It’s the heart of this system along with a smart battery monitor w/LVD and HVD.