Use cheap controller for LVD

Options
paul12345
paul12345 Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
I notice with some disappointment I cannot use my Morningstar PWM controller for both charging AND load control. It's either one or the other. I'm looking for an option other than to buy another TS-45. I do have a separate LVD on the circuit I need controlling but which can be better utilized elsewhere, so, question is,  can I wire in  a cheap no-name controller in that place to do the same job & not cause any issue with the Morningstar?    
7 x 150w panels through PWM TriStar TS-45, into 220 AH Crown battery bank.

Comments

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Victron Smart Battery Protect is not real expensive (depending on the load size you want to disconnect), and it is designed specifically for cutting off loads when the battery voltage gets below the level you choose.   If you don't need the programmability, you can get the regular Victron Battery Protect (not the "smart" one).
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • paul12345
    paul12345 Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited July 2022 #4
    Options
    Thanks, I have a Kemo Battery Guard providing service at the location. It works via a potentiometer. I was going to use that in another setup but it's probably better to just buy another. It would have been good to use a 20 Amp PWM with load control which at the moment is just sitting around gathering dust. 
    But if it is in some way going to interfere with the TriStar, I prefer not to take the risk.  
    7 x 150w panels through PWM TriStar TS-45, into 220 AH Crown battery bank.