Building a Wind Turbine System

Options
Prettyflyforaturbine
Prettyflyforaturbine Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4
Hey everyone,

I'm Building my first wind turbine to start producing my own energy. I have mostly everything I need but have come across some issues that I am unsure of how to address. The main question I have is about the Charge Controller. My wind turbine is 400Watts that's going to charge a 12volt deep cycle battery. I only have one battery as of right now but I am planning on getting more and connecting them in parral.

I've found a few Charge Controllers for sale online but really want to make sure I'm getting the right one for what I need. 
The one I am looking at is a Hybrid 1400W charge controller. 

https://www.amazon.ca/PIKASOLA-Controller-Battery-Generator-Complementary/dp/B07V7C7NYP/ref=sr_1_12?crid=LF4RABQU56RG&keywords=wind+charge+controller&qid=1657587561&sprefix=wind+char,aps,126&sr=8-12

I would like to set up solar panels alongside my wind turbine but that won't be happening for some time. I am not completely sold on the idea of a hybrid controller, the one I have linked to is the only one that I believe I can fit my 10g wires into and it is one that comes with a Dump Load. 

If there is a different controller that would work for my preposes, believe let me know.

Also, I've seen some people adding a rectifier into the system to convert their power from DC to AC. This I find confusing because I was under the impression that an inverter would convert the power to AC from the batteries. 

What is the purpose of a rectifier if the inverter does the same thing?

Any help I can get on this topic would be, very, very appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,454 admin
    Options
    Going "backwards":

A rectifier is 1, 2, 4, or 6 diodes (typically) that are connected in a "bridge" circuit. The do what you understand. They convert AC power to DC power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier

And we usually use an AC inverter to take DC power (usually 12/24/48 VDC) and convert it to higher voltage AC power (for North America, typically 120, 120/240 VAC @ 60 Hz).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

There are different methods to make rectifiers--Typically for higher power applications. In engineering, there are typically multiple ways to solve a problem.

Wind Turbines typically use a three phase alternator (think of a version of a car alternator). The output is 3 Phase AC current/power, and to charge a DC battery bank, we need a rectifier to convert from 3 phase AC to DC.

In general, solar panels and wind turbines/alternators use different methods to control battery charging.

Solar panels can be "turned on and off" without issue. So a "series" type charge controller is used. Whether PWM (pulse width modulated--Just a "fast" on/off switch) or MPPT (maximum power point tracking--Technically usually a buck mode switching power supply controlled by on on-board computer--Which allows for efficient of high voltage * low current from array to low voltage * high current needed to charge the battery bank).

Wind (and water) Turbines (we are talking about HAWT--Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines)--These types of turbine can over-speed in moderate to high wind speeds unless there is a constant load (such as torque from the alternator sending energy to battery bank and DC loads). So typically, these turbines => rectifier => battery bus are direct connected. And battery bus => dump controller to bleed off uneeded energy into a load bank (or other power needs).

Now--There are many, perfectly valid, configurations that do turbine connections differently. For example  Turbine/Alternator => MPPT charge controller => battery bank => integrated dump controller/mechanical controllers for turbine such as furling).

The MPPT controller can dramatically increase energy harvest (especially in heavy winds). Here is a very sophisticated integrated wind turbine / dump load MPPT controller system:

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/MidNite-Clipper-Brochure.pdf
    https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-1500-watt-dc-turbine-clipper-mnclip1500dc-24.html

Add an MPPT cotroller configured for a Wind Turbine--And you have a nice system.

I am not saying this is "the solution" for you or it is even cost effective for your needs. Just showing how different engineers solar similar problems.

There are more "all in one products" out there... This can be a cost saver (one set of electronics can do multiple functions). Also, with integrated hardware, the ability to monitor and have integration with, for example, BMS on a Lithium Ion battery bank.

Getting support, parts, emergency support, etc. can be difficult--Add trying to get support from an overseas company, etc.--Can be difficult. Sometimes though, a good product that does what you want for less money--Hard to resist the experiment.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Something to consider: If you get a 300 watt solar panel, you can actually harvest perhaps 200-250 watts when the sun is out and shining on the panel. With a 400 watt wind turbine, the only time you will see that sort of output is during what you would perceive as gale force winds. And it will be making a racket at that time. Most posters here have had better luck with solar than with wind.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Prettyflyforaturbine
    Prettyflyforaturbine Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4
    Options
    Is it possible for a wind turbine to produce DC power? I've noticed that more charge controllers have 3 wires to connect to the turbine but mine only had 2 wires. A positive and negative. 
  • BB.
    edited July 2022 #5
    Options
    The rectifier (or even a full charge controller) can be built into the wind turbine.
    There are older generators that are like old car DC Generators that will generate DC current directly--But I doubt there are very many (if any) DC Generator Turbines.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Prettyflyforaturbine
    Options
    I have a Coleman 400w wind turbine. I've looked over the whole manual and didn't find anything stating whether it produces DC or AC. The fact that it only haves the 2 wires makes me believe that it produces DC.
  • BB.
    edited July 2022 #7
    Options
    This Coleman Manual I found indicates that this is a DC output wind turbine. See page 5 for a wiring diagram.
    I am using my phone right now, so I cannot easily double check anything.
    -Bill

• Prettyflyforaturbine
    Options
    Would the MidNite Classic work with a DC Turbine then?
  • BB.
    Options
    I really cannot answer that (above my pay grade--I don't have any training or information about MPPT turbines and any specific vendor)... Most MPPT controllers end up with a +/- pair of inputs... So probably yes.

There can be lots of other issues with programming the MPPT controller to properly figure out the MPPT curve.

There is a Midnite forum (used to be "official", but I believe that it is just run by Midnite customers and such):

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php

There are other forums that may be able to help too: (this is a 12+ year old list--May be others too):

www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines (from Chris Olson... From his 4/11/2013 post)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

-Bill
  • clockmanfran
    clockmanfran Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Options
    In the manual in your link Page 4, the controller and the recitifier are in the head.  So the 3 phase generator is  converted to DC by that controller.  This method is normal with small Wind turbines.

Everything is possible, just give me Time.

The OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m dia wind turbines, (12 years running).  ... 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 years) .... 14kW PV AC coupled using Used/second hand GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with the AC Coupling and OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries.