Lead calcium acid batteries opinions

Options
bgu1982
bgu1982 Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
These types of batteries have been recently brought to my attention. Are these batteries to be avoided for solar battery bank use? I'm finding alot of batteries that do not say they are this kind and if I was wondering how bad a decision would be to incorporate them in a battery bank. I have no real experience with them an I may have bought some without knowing it because they were not labeled as such.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    It is difficult to say... You need the specifications from the Mfg... And those seem to tell you everything but cycle/float life, if Deep Cycle/Float Duty/Etc. designs or other "marketing speak" like Marine Deep Cycle battery (Marine is, usually, not a true deep cycle battery).

And modern computer system UPS (uninterruptible power supply) are generally only for short term power (30 minutes max) and a few cycles in a year (just long enough to keep computers up until backup genset starts). Those smaller UPS batteries probably only last around 2 years (even if no cycling/power cuts).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bgu1982
    Options
    Well I guess I feel victim to marketing. I know there not true deep cycle but I thought they were a combination of both for a compromise to get starting power as well as deep cycling. I thought I does both just not as well as a strictly dedicated battery that does one or the other. A compromise so to speak. But does it not still have some true deep cycling capabilities? Or is it just a junk starting battery that's falsely marketed to fools like me hoping to power there home? 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    edited July 2022 #4
    Options
    To a degree--It depends on what your expectations are... If you use the batteries "occasionally" and 2-3 years of "life" works for your needs--And the cost was OK. Then you got what your needed for (hopefully) a good price.

A Marine Lead Calcium battery that is never checked for electrolyte levels will probably last as long, or longer, than a "true" deep cycle battery that never had its water levels checked either.

The lead calcium will probably die from some sort of plate failure, while the deep cycle battery will probably fail from wast ter level falling below the tops of the plates (plates exposed to air fail quickly).

AGM batteries are 'sealed' and have some good electrical performance (better charging/discharging performance, slower self discharge, freeze damage resistant, no water to add). But they (generally) cost more than a flooded cell lead acid battery which will last longer (more cycles) assuming good maintenance (adding water as needed, keep well charged, etc.). 

Typically, we suggest 6 volt @ 200 AH "golf cart" deep cycle batteries as your first bank. They tend to be cheap and relatively forgiving. And for many of us, we "murder" our first bank or two of batteries (usually over discharging, insufficient charging). So it is better to get that experience with cheap batteries.

And once the system is stable and performing as needed--The next bank could be better Flooded cell or AGM batteries (good for sub freezing conditions) or, now, LiFePO4 ("almost" the perfect battery, great for hot weather, light weight, sort of expensive, and usually use a BMS to keep battery from being damaged from under/over voltage).

Finding LiFePO4 batteries at a good price--Their longer cycle/service life can mean a lower total lifetime cost. But they are not usually the first battery bank you want to experiment with unless you need them (light weight, small volume, warm/hot weather performance/life, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bgu1982
    Options
    Oh believe me I love the liFePo4 batteries. There absolutely amazing. I have them in my ecoflow delta pro. I can charge them at amazing speeds. I can discharge them daily to very low(15% is as low as I go) with no damage. And it doesn't have to be charged to 100% daily. Plus yes the possible 10 year life span is incredible. 

But my secondary sam's club (mystery) batteries are for a secondary power source since I already had alot of the equipment so I figured the more power the better. But I've learned enough to always try to keep the FLA'S above 50% dod. They usually get charged fast enough they spend some time in FLOAT mode everyday! I'm learning guys. Next time I'll probably go for the golf cart batteries. Thanks for all the feed back