Ecloflow delta pro charging question

bgu1982
bgu1982 Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
I have a ecoflow delta pro and when charging with AC power I can go up to like 1400 watts. I've been charging at 1000 watts. Is it safe long term to charge the batteries at that high amount of power daily. Or do I need to charge it at a lower wattage to avoid battery damage. It is a lithium iron phosphate battery. I looked for info online and really couldn't find a sure answer. The unit is pricy so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    I guess this is the unit you have?

https://www.ecoflow.com/us/delta-pro-portable-power-station

It has (base unit) a 3,600 WH LFP (lithium iron phosphate) battery bank. 
    AC Charging1800W Max, 120V AC, 15A; 3000W Max, 240V AC, 12.5A
    Solar Charging Input1600W

For Lithium batteries, they can take much higher charging current than Lead Acid batteries... Typically for Lead Acid, 10% to 20% rate of charge is a good range to aim at. For Li Ion, many can charge at upwards of 1C or charge in 1 hour from zero to 100% capacity.

In this case, you have an "all in one" unit and the "box" itself should limit its maximum charging current and still meet its life time battery capacity specifications.

So charging at 1,600 to 1,800 Watts for a single 3,600 WH battery pack should be fine.

In general, heat is the enemy for both batteries and electronics. Charging at 1,000 Watts should keep everything a bit cooler (as always, keep batteries and inverters out of direct sunlight, and in well ventilated/cool if possible rooms) which will help extend the life of the unit.

Just to give you an idea... There is an engineering rule of thumb... For every 10C (18F) increase in temperature, the "thing" will age 2x faster. So if your unit is rated for 25C (77F), and you run/charge at 35C / 95F, the battery and electronics will have 1/2 the life.

Note: This formula is "temperature and time dependent"--I.e., if you recharge for 1 hour at 35C and the unit spends the rest of its 23 hours per day at 25C--That means the unit only "aged 2x faster" during the time it spent at 35C (i.e., 1 hour per day).

So this leads us to the other question... Do you "need" fast charging or can you "live" with slower charging (i.e., use unit during the day, and bring it back home at night to recharge where you have >8 hours to recharge).

If you do not "need" fast charge--Running the charging current at 1,000 Watts or so would probably give you better battery and electronics life (less temperature/thermal stresses).

But if you need fast charge--I would not hesitate to use fast charging. The unit should still meet its warranty numbers.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bgu1982
    Thank you very much Bill. That is exactly the info I needed and couldn't find.
  • bgu1982
    Geeze since we been talking about battery capacity and such I was wondering about my delta pro. It has a 3600 wh capacity. That translates to only 300 ah? Is this correct? The thing cost $3500. I used a conversation site. I hope I'm wrong
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    edited July 2022 #5
    All in one units are not (generally) cheap.
    But look closely at the units you are comparing.
    For example Watt*Hours are a complete unit. It represents the energy content of the battery.
    Amp*Hours are not complete. You also need to know the working voltage too.
    I believe your unit is a 24 vdc battery bus. While many Rv and other smaller systems use a 12 vdc bus. So:
    3,600 WH / 12 vdc = 300 AH
    3,600 WH / 24 vdc = 150 AH
    Battery prices are all over the map. There are different chemistries and many LFP & LI batteries also may include a BMS (battery management system).
    Integrated suit case systems are probably going to cost more (per WH) than buying batteries, a BMS, and an inverter charger with integration to the BMS all as piece parts and building the system yourself.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset