Outback Radian vs XW Pro

Gutaz
Gutaz Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
Making my final decision on inverter for my phase 1 install (grid input for charging battery and NO SOLAR, that's phase 2).  Basically a UPS until get my new roof on for panels, but at least need a backup due to outages.  Radian 8k system is only a few hundred more than Schneider XW Pro 6848 system.  Did research and both will fit my needs.  Seems Radian is more field serviceable and this will be installed at a remote area which has a well pump with surge that is within specs of both systems.  Just wanted to get this groups thoughts on this subject, did a lot of research here and other forums but trouble deciding.  Below is my cart(s) for NAWS.  Need simple, reliable, warrantied, monitoring over internet, and ability to grow system.  Even though these will be grid tied, it will never sell back, not worth the trouble for $.005 sell back per 1k...yes 1/2 cent per KW buy back.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They both are all I have ever used over the years and hundreds of installs. Schneider does do field repair but they mostly just replace a unit like XWP with it's 10 year warranty. Super rare but early failures can happen with any electronics.  Outback is nice because of their forum. They both have cloud and smart phone aps.

In the end it is really the solar, that is where the Schneider 600vdc mppt's make it super easy for an install. Long strings and really built to last and easy to grow as you go. Schneider does at this time have many battery make choices for closed loop charge/discharge.
    I would look into that as it makes the system plug and play and you will not need the Batt Mon as it is internal to the battery BMS.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Gutaz
    edited June 2022 #3
    @Dave Angelini
    Thank you for your feedback.  Can't tell for sure, but seems like you favor Schneider.  From a configuration perspective, which do you feel is easier?  I know they both have a lot of detailed settings.  This will be DIY for the first phase to have grid backup.  Critical loads panel is ready to go, right now being powered my MSP.  When I do get solar added, I want to be able to send excess power to MSP when batteries are full and critical loads are met, but not sell back.  I believe I need the watt node with CTs in MSP for that to work.  Not sure how that works with the Radian.
  • MJSullivan56
    MJSullivan56 Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited June 2022 #4
    Gutaz said:
    @Dave Angelini
    Thank you for your feedback.  Can't tell for sure, but seems like you favor Schneider.  From a configuration perspective, which do you feel is easier?  I know they both have a lot of detailed settings.  This will be DIY for the first phase to have grid backup.  Critical loads panel is ready to go, right now being powered my MSP.  When I do get solar added, I want to be able to send excess power to MSP when batteries are full and critical loads are met, but not sell back.  I believe I need the watt node with CTs in MSP for that to work.  Not sure how that works with the Radian.
    Radian in Backup mode is automagic— power goes out and the batteries switch over. I’ve run my system that way for the past year. I’m just now adding solar PV and am running in Support mode. Fairly easy to switch over modes. I like the plug and play nature of these hybrid inverters. Note: I’m running the factory-wired combo of GS4048A + FM100 + FNDC, so for me it really was plug and play.
  • Gutaz
    Gutaz said:
    @Dave Angelini
    Radian in Backup mode is automagic— power goes out and the batteries switch over. I’ve run my system that way for the past year. I’m just now adding solar PV and am running in Support mode. Fairly easy to switch over modes. I like the plug and play nature of these hybrid inverters. Note: I’m running the factory-wired combo of GS4048A + FM100 + FNDC, so for me it really was plug and play.
    Will you be selling to the grid with PV?  I can’t have a lot of PV 4-5kw but hope to be able to send power back to main panel but never have it go back to the actual grid. Assume there are CTs on the outback that will verify nothing is going back to grid but can’t easily see that in the Raidian modes. 
  • MJSullivan56
    MJSullivan56 Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Gutaz said:
    Gutaz said:
    @Dave Angelini
    Will you be selling to the grid with PV?  I can’t have a lot of PV 4-5kw but hope to be able to send power back to main panel but never have it go back to the actual grid. Assume there are CTs on the outback that will verify nothing is going back to grid but can’t easily see that in the Raidian modes. 
    No selling back to the grid. Hence Support mode.