Charging Current for Lifepo4 Batteries

Options
freddieoliveras
freddieoliveras Registered Users Posts: 33 ✭✭
Hi:
what’s better for Charging Lifepo4 Batteries, high current or low? Example 80A vs 120A
🤔

Comments

• Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just stay within the specs for the battery. 

The LifePo4 batteries don’t really care, high or low, within the spec for the battery. 

Higher amp charging will be quicker. Stay within the specs. 
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Diito on the specs !   Keep in mind that Lead acid batts are very forgiving of being "over currented"  Lithium can be easily damaged by it!

The same with discharge on lithium. I have seen directly both of these conditions do permanent damage very, very quickly! The number of people who have done this are not on a short list.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Diito on the specs !   Keep in mind that Lead acid batts are very forgiving of being "over currented"  Lithium can be easily damaged by it!

The same with discharge on lithium. I have seen directly both of these conditions do permanent damage very, very quickly! The number of people who have done this are not on a short list.

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if those were some early Lithium batteries. To my knowledge, the only way you could exceed the current ratings of any commercially available LiFePO4 battery now (or any reasonably well done DIY battery) is for the BMS to fail. Over current, cell over voltage, and cell under voltage are the three main things the BMS is supposed to trigger on. If it doesn't, that is a bad BMS.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty recent and from people using large systems that the BMS is open loop and does not respond to the conditions. Some pretty big names also. A smaller cabin inverter and reasonable set charge / discharge loads and you will be fine. The same as just reading the manuals and due diligence with large systems.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net