sharing PV panel installation with 2 inverters (no splitting or allocations)

Options
Takara
Takara Registered Users Posts: 1
Is there a way to share the DC power output of an installation of many PV panels (i.e. 100,000 watts), between 2 inverters or more. I prefer not to split the panels into 2 arrays one for each.
My need:
- One load requires a 3 phase inverter (30kw). This 3phase load is not running all the time, it runs few minutes during each hour, and
- the other major load requires a single phase inverter. This 1 phase load is running most of the time.

the question is how to connect both inverters to the same PV installation, so that the 1 phase load can benefit from all panels when the 3 phase is not needing it.

I welcome any questions or idea. If interested i can go into the detail of the installation and how it solve big problems for me.

Thanks,

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Takara,

I am guessing you are somewhere around Lebanon?

And is this an "off grid" system (solar=>battery bank=>AC inverter=>loads) or a Grid Tied system (solar=>GT inverter=>utility panel)?

Are you looking for "battery backup power" (frequent afternoon power outages)? Or what?

In general, one cannot share a single large solar array with multiple MPPT based solar chargers or GT Inverters. Each MPPT device "assumes" it is in control of the solar array (to figure out the Pmp=Vmp*Imp equation to optimize solar harvest).

With GT solar--The utility is the "storage" (aka AC Battery) system to keep your power at 230 VAC 50 Hz (or whatever).

With Off grid solar, the solar array (generally) goes to a MPPT Solar charge controller to charge the DC Battery bank. Then each inverter (1 or 3 phase) draws energy needed from the battery bank to support their respective loads.

An "off grid" solar system without batteries (i.e., lots of sun, during middle of sunny day) Solar panels=>Off grid inverters=>AC loads can be done--But it only supplies electricity when the sun is up, and bad weather, heavy surge loads, etc. are problematic (i.e., loads>panel power, the system shuts down).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset