Need help with finding the right converter.

Options
reaper007
reaper007 Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everyone, I need help finding the right converter for my OUTDOOR LTE ROUTER.. My Battery bank is  lithium iron phosphate DC 12volt 20 Ah. My LTE router can except DC 9v-dc 48V 1.5 amp.. The manufacturer suggests running dc 12v 1.5 Amp.. any Ideas would really be appreciated..

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Reaper007,

If the Router Specs are correct, you can just wire directly to your battery bus (through a 3 amp fuse or circuit breaker--appropriate to protect wiring from short circuit) and call it a day.

If you want to feed the unit 12xx volts directly, you need a "Buck Boost" type switching power supply or converter... Using Amazon as a start:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=buck+boost+converter&sprefix=buck+boost (lots of suff here... Maybe 3 amps minimum output and 9-30 VDC input voltage.

You can find some fixed 12 volt output versions too:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12v+buck+boost+converter

Does this help?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • reaper007
    reaper007 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    This is where I’m confused because I blew out 2 Drok step down adjustables when connecting to 20 ah battery. However the worked perfect on a 10ah battery. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Can you give a link to the Drok units?

The size of the battery (AH rating) should have little to do with the operation of DC converters (assuming the battery is the right voltage and large enough to carry the loads... Typically if you have a 2 Amp load, then the battery should be something like, at a minimum, 10x or 20 AH).

Generally, DC to DC converters are pretty simple and rugged... As long as you have the input connected to the battery (right voltage and polarity) and the outputs are connected to DC loads (connecting to a battery--Such as 24 VDC input to 12 VDC battery charging) can require some more research (connecting the output of a DC converter to a battery can cause the converter to fail--Depends on the design).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset