Rv wind turbine

Prince16
Prince16 Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
I'm looking to add a small turbine to my solar on my rv.looking for suggestions. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Welcome to the forum Prince.

I am not a fan of small wind... You need lots of wind (>~12-25 MPH--Or reasonably miserably windy conditions). Ideally the turbine needs to be installed 30 feet above the ground, and at least 10 feet over any nearby obstructions. And mounting a turbine to a vehicle (or building) can be really noisy/vibrations to structures... Ideally the turbine should be on its own tower/guy wires, etc.

What are your expectations/need from the wind turbine... Will you be in windy locations where there will be enough wind to "matter"? How many Watt*Hours/Amp*Hours @ xx volts per day are you looking for?

Anyway you can add more solar panels to roof, tilt for better angle to sun, or even making a "solar panel awning"?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    What he said. Not worth the trouble IMO.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Prince16
    Prince16 Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info, not alway in windy conditons, not alway sunny.
  • BB.
    I will point to a small wind turbine that our forum host sells (Northern Arizona Wind & Sun) sells... (I am a volunteer here. Don't work for NAWS). But to look at the specifications:

https://www.solar-electric.com/primus-wind-power-air-30-12-volt-generator.html

At 12 mph wind (pretty high wind speed in normal/non-stormy weather), you get a rated--Say 32 kWH per month, or:
    • 30 kWH = 30,000 WH per month
    • 30,000 WH * 1/30 days per month * 1/24 hours per day = 42 Watts
    • 42 Watts / 14.5 volts charging = 2.9 Amps charging current
    • Assume mayby 5 hours for evening winds (depends where you are) * 2.9 amps = 14.5 Amp*Hours
    • 14.5 AmpHours * 12 volts = 174 WH per day
    46 inch diameter, 13 lb body. Not including mounts/tower. You have to unbolt 1-3 blades and umount to "put away", etc. $952.00

If you wanted something in solar---3 hours per day of sun is a "reasonably" sunny climate in winter:
    • 174 WH * 1/0.52 off grid system eff * 1/3 hours of sun per day = 112 Watt solar panel "similar" to a $1,000 turbine (in "windy" conditions)...
    I am sure you can find smaller/larger/less expensive turbines out there... A big issue (I have seen) is trying to get spare/replacment parts for turbines--Especially a few years down down the road.

At least with the Primus--They seem have spares available (and used market/after market parts too).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    If you are still interested in a wind trubine, you might want to look at some sort of logging Anemometer. Here is a simple one that will work with Bluetooth/Android phone ($44 or so):

https://www.amazon.com/Anemometer-Handheld-100-APP-Velocity-Bluetooth/dp/B086P354HP

I was looking for a low cost/logging/non-directional wind meter... But did not really find any with some quick searches on Amazon.

The wind measurements (especially at low speeds) needs to be pretty accurate... The "energy" in wind goes with the cube of the wind speed... For example the difference between 10 and 12 MPH winds:
    • 12 mph ^ 3 = 1,728 mph^3
    • 10 mph ^ 3 = 1,000 mph^3
    • 1,728/1,000 = 1.7x more energy in 12 mph wind vs 10 mph wind
    And the turbine needs to in "clean/non-turbulent" air flow (or wind). If there is turbulence (up wind trees, building, RVs, etc.), the resulting turbulent airflow will have almost most no "useful energy" for the wind turbine to harvest (horizontal or vertical axis turbines--Does not matter).

Put the Anemometer on a stick at the elevation you plan to mount the turbine and see what the actual airflow is (need to point the above meter "into the wind".

-Bill