Are mid-span clips (in the middle of a panel) ok?

showme
showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭
I'm just about finished wiring up my 2 arrays, and have used mostly stainless double clips on the module frames, and a few of Iron Ridge's black plastic clips when I needed to run them along the rail. Now that I'm done, seeing the wires hanging loose between panels from series wiring, I'm wondering if an adhesive clip on the back of a module would be ok, or would it create a hot spot or have some other bad effect? I'd like it to be as neat as possible, and the idea of those connectors banging on the panels in storms doesn't seem like a wise thing to let happen. I found some that were 3M, so they will be on there permanently.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited March 2022 #2
    I don't really like (personally) attaching glue pads to the rear of solar panels... They are typically finished with some sort of film--And adding a bonded pad to the back with constant strain over the years (and thermal cycling, etc.), the chances of damaging the rear of the panel (letting moisture, oxygen, etc.) in the sealed panel is probably non-zero.

The other thing to watch for--If you have little animals that like to chew--They can attack the wire insulation too... Placing in metal conduit, keeping area clear of branches/leaves/bedding materials will help too.

And there are plastic looms (split and pullover socks and such)... Our house rabbit has been known to make friendly nips in both AC cords and sometimes the split plastic loom too.

https://www.amazon.com/wire-loom/s?k=wire+loom

-Bill

PS: Also, I would suggest making sure that that the wiring is well supported into the solar panel J-Box. And, if you can, have a drip loop so that any water runs off the loop and not into a J-Box wire inlet.

-BB
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • showme
    showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Thanks, Bill. The only conduit I'm using is liquid tight non-metallic, which is carrying the 6 gauge wires from the combiner boxes to the power panel in the shed and from the rack to the combiner box. With the seal tight conduit, I didn't need to run a drip loop. It's a water tight connection. (Still run one on the array ground wire).

I've learned the hard way about what critters can and will do to wiring if the conditions are right. A tree fell on our daughters car during a storm and it took the insurance company a week to come around to appraise it, all the while a mature oak tree's top limbs covered it. When we got it out, we found the squirrels had chewed some electrical wires under the hood. Just one spot about a foot long. Then we found out our son in law had worked on that section of wiring. Come to find out, he had been eating peanuts and chips while he was working on it. The mechanic who repaired it gave me a piece of wisdom then that I've never forgotten. When working on wiring or anything that will be out doors, do NOT eat salty, oily food without washing your hands before you go back to work on it. Mice, squirrels, and rodents in general will flock to eat wherever you've touched. Thanks for bringing it up. Maybe someone will read this and benefit from it.

Well, I guess i'll just let those module-to-module wires hang loose, then. If I did use those adhesive clips, they would be there forever, so I'm not too concerned about damaging the back covering being damaged. But I was afraid it may create a hot spot that may damage a cell in the module. Thanks for the reply. Lee

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.