Can batteries touch each other?

Options
hillside
hillside Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭
So, just finished putting up another stand alone setup and needed to build a small bench to cover the batteries, which are 4 Deka L16s.
I measured twice but changed the da*n idea by moving the legs of the bench a little inward so it would be easier to lift out of the way to service the batts.
Now I've made it a tiny bit too narrow. The batteries now have about 3/4" space between them. Can I move them closer to each other to make this work? They would have to be touching each other, side by side, if so.
8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
5 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
4- 450 Watt panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ 2-Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controllers/ Xantrex 1800W PSW Inverter.
Honda EU3000W generator for backup.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    It really depends on how "temperature sensitive" your bank & installation is...

Roughly, for air, if the spacing is less than 0.5 inches, you will get little air circulation between the batteries. If the gap is 0.5 inches or larger, then you will have convective air currents which will tend to help the bank remain cooler...

If you look at industrial/forklift batteries--They are right up against each other--No air gaps. No major issues. Suggest that they are 13% or less rate of charge (i.e., 8 hour charging).

If you are in a hot climate and/or have high rates of charge--Then, if your charger has the option, should use a remote batteries temperature sensor to ensure that the bank does not overheat (also, the charge controller will reduce charging voltage setpoint as bank temperature rises--Help reduce "runaway charging current" for hot batteries.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hillside
    hillside Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Bill.
    The concern I have is just what you addressed.
    This is a hot tropical environment and although the batts. are in the shade they'll see a little bit of late afternoon sun so I plan on making a small polycarbonate shield on the front of the bench.
    I think I can get .5" or maybe .75"
    It's all about air flow, isn't it?!
    8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
    5 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
    4- 450 Watt panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ 2-Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controllers/ Xantrex 1800W PSW Inverter.
    Honda EU3000W generator for backup.