Reverse Photocell?

CCinPA
CCinPA Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
I have a solar-panel that produces 12-volts / 1-watt.  I need an in-line reverse-photocell(?) that will be on/dawn, and off/dusk.  Help? 

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    For what purpose? The panel is producing power at dawn.  It this being used as a pilot panel to schedule things on when power is sufficient?  A load resistor and a $13 voltage timer relay module could do that.
  • CCinPA
    Estragon said:
    LEADS AND LOADS HELP? 

Which wire(s) connect to which wire(s)?

PS: Yes I  know this is most likely below the basics  

• Estragon
    As nano said, it would help to know what you're trying to do.

The photocell description isn't clear on whether it can be set (or wred) for normally open or normally closed operation.  The description suggests it can, but the diagram suggests otherwise.  

If it's normally open, and closes when it sees enough light (or can be set or wired that way), it would power the load (eg small pump) only when there's light.  If it's normally closed, and opens with light, it would turn off the load (eg night/security light) when it sees light.

I think you could test this with a multimeter by checking for continuity between the black and red wires with the cell in light.  If there's continuity, it's normally open and closes with light.  If you have no continuity, cover the cell.  If you get continuity with it covered, it's normally closed. 

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • CCinPA
    Estragon said:

The photocell description isn't clear on whether it can be set (or wred) for normally open or normally closed operation.  The description suggests it can, but the diagram suggests otherwise.  

If it's normally open, and closes when it sees enough light (or can be set or wired that way), it would power the load (eg small pump) only when there's light.  If it's normally closed, and opens with light, it would turn off the load (eg night/security light) when it sees light.

I think you could test this with a multimeter by checking for continuity between the black and red wires with the cell in light.  If there's continuity, it's normally open and closes with light.  If you have no continuity, cover the cell.  If you get continuity with it covered, it's normally closed. 

I used the device you recommended:  https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Photocell-Switch-Photoswitch-Sensor/dp/B019BR5Y3U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=12+volt+photo+switch&qid=1569161768&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Estragon said:

Estragon said:

• Estragon
    Again, it would help to know what you're trying to do.  Also, I didn't recommend any particular solution, I asked if "something like this" was what you were looking for.  It's hard to recommend a solution when you don't know what the problem is.
    Off-grid.  
  • CCinPA
    Estragon said:
    Again, it would help to know what you're trying to do.  Also, I didn't recommend any particular solution, I asked if "something like this" was what you were looking for.  It's hard to recommend a solution when you don't know what the problem is.
    There really isn't a problem.  I'm just trying to insert the reverse photocell into the layout.  There is a 12-volt supply that used to go directly to the butterfly; but occasionally the power would drain by morning.  So I decided to enhance the design by adding a reverse photocell so the battery doesn't drain during nighttime.  Does this help?   
  • billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Most people would use a timer to do this but in my case on a overcast day I also used a Photocell to save the battery from draining. I didn't have to figure out the wiring as it was Plug and Play. Remember a Photocell is just a resister that gets hot and physically moves a contact.
  • CCinPA
    billybob9 said:
    Most people would use a timer to do this but in my case on a overcast day I also used a Photocell to save the battery from draining. I didn't have to figure out the wiring as it was Plug and Play. Remember a Photocell is just a resister that gets hot and physically moves a contact.
    I don't object to a timer... Suggest one? 
  • billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    If it's 12VDC any Lawn Sprinkler timer would work. From the simple to the most complex. Mine came out of my Inverter so was 120VAC ( plug & play ).
  • CCinPA
    Is connecting the wires too simple of a question? Or am I so wrong there is not an answer? headbang

Attachments 

• Estragon
    If I'm reading the diagram right, the white wire is common, typically negative.  Black would be switched by the photocell to power (or not, depending on photocell light) the red.  Personally, I'd test my assumptions with a multimeter before wiring it up.

Anyway, if my assumptions are correct:
    - White wire from cell is connected to the battery negative and load negative.
    - Black wire from cell is connected to battery positive.
    - Red wire from cell is connected to load positive.

An inline fuse (or breaker), sized for smallest wire used in the circuit should be on the battery positive.

Off-grid.  
  • CCinPA
    Estragon said:
    If I'm reading the diagram right, the white wire is common, typically negative.  Black would be switched by the photocell to power (or not, depending on photocell light) the red.  Personally, I'd test my assumptions with a multimeter before wiring it up.

Anyway, if my assumptions are correct:
    - White wire from cell is connected to the battery negative and load negative.
    - Black wire from cell is connected to battery positive.
    - Red wire from cell is connected to load positive.

An inline fuse (or breaker), sized for smallest wire used in the circuit should be on the battery positive.

I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight until I can try this tomorrow!   :)

The little thinks in life...  :D
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    It could be a lot simpler if you understood electronics. Just as a thought exercise, Most buck converters go down to about 1.2V.  You set the converter to what voltage you want.  Then a CDS photocell across the adjustment pot.  Light hitting that reduces the resistance of the pot and lowering the output voltage of the buck converter.  Your LED light acts like a zener and doesn't conduct below a certain voltage basically turning the lamp off.  A diode will have to be added in series with the lamp to raise the voltage to about .7V to get it to turn off.
  • CCinPA
    It could be a lot simpler if you understood electronics. Just as a thought exercise, Most buck converters go down to about 1.2V.  You set the converter to what voltage you want.  Then a CDS photocell across the adjustment pot.  Light hitting that reduces the resistance of the pot and lowering the output voltage of the buck converter.  Your LED light acts like a zener and doesn't conduct below a certain voltage basically turning the lamp off.  A diode will have to be added in series with the lamp to raise the voltage to about .7V to get it to turn off.
    I wish too that I knew more about electronics!  

Today... I tested without the buck-converter.   Although I had 12+-volts into the photocell... No output from the photocell with/without sunlight.  
  • Mouthpear
    Mouthpear Registered Users Posts: 1
    Did you ever find what you re looking for? If not I might be able to help.