Used lithium batts? Where to find?

Options
sarahps33
sarahps33 Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hi there, I've tried to find websites that sell used/refurbished lithium batteries with little luck. This seems kinda odd to me. So thought I'd ask if anyone knew of any good sites that sell them used or refurbished.  Thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    It seems that Ebay is the place to buy used Tesla and other used Li Ion batteries...

Last I heard (a few years ago), Craig's List does not allow used battery sales. There are a couple random batteries available on SF Crag's list at the moment--But not much.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sarahps33
    sarahps33 Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options
    My husband has since requested that we dont use used lithium. He's worked in shipping of hazardous materials for many years. He mentioned that combining differently used lithum batteries with differnt lifespans or usages or something like that could be a recipe for disaster. Then showed me a few videos of how they randomly explode lol. Food for thought I suppose. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    LiFePO4 (lithium Iron Phosphate) are reasonably safe vs (most?) of the other type of lithium batteries--Much more resistant to spontaneous combustion.

The automotive battery packs are not/tend not to be LiFePO4 but other types of lithium type chemistry (I think--Not sure--Not in business) because everyone wants more power/lighter batteries in electric vehicles than lithium iron phosphate batteries can do.

My own two cents--I would do my best to install a lithium bank in an outbuilding/shed--Not in a home/basement/garage.

Regardless of specific chemistry--If there is ever a fire (battery related or other sources of fire such as wiring, drier, etc.) , burning lithium batteries can release some very toxic chemicals and be very difficult to put out. Minimize losses and easier to clean up (clean site with tractor and haul to toxic waste dump--Another big issue).

I have seen folks buy used Tesla and other battery banks from EBay and such--And they do make them work. But I understand and pretty much agree with your husband that Costs (potential for fire/worse) would outweigh the Benefits of used Li Ion battery packs at this time for home use.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset