Mixing LiFePO4 battery Manufacturers In Battery Bank

Options
ETS1001
ETS1001 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hi Folks,

Currently I have (12) 100ah Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries set up in 3 strings for my battery bank. I really like the idea of the 48v server rack style batteries that have to many more features.  I'd like to test 1 or 2 out in the near future.  If the specs are pretty close, Bulk, Float, Abs, etc.  Can I add one to my existing battery bank? 

My system is 48v with (2) 5,500w inverters and solar is 4Kw in Southern California.

Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Placing 100 AH batteries in series with 200 AH batteries--Means the string is 100 AH capacity (capacity from larger cells/batteries is not usable).

The other thing to watch out for--BMS (battery management system) limits... Some are limited to 24 volt battery buses... Others may be higher rated voltages.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ETS1001
    ETS1001 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Bill,

Each string will be 100 AH. I should have added that the 48V server style battery is 100 AH also .  I thought about the different BMS characteristics and operating values. I will see if the levels/cut-outs/temp parameters are available.

Thanks,
    ETS
  • javid
    javid Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Options
    You won't have any trouble incorporating a server rack battery into your system - if you are using proper charge parameter for your BB, they will be fine for the server rack batteries.